Do you end up getting tired of your own music from the production process?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Likewise, if I find something I like I move it down the timeline and build something new in front. Or behind depending.

I think this helps to keep it fresh and rarely get tired of the multiple replays.

Try jumbling things around. Maybe this will help you not get tired.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Play with other people. Mix it up!

risome wrote:If i get a loop like that going i immediately put it at bar 32 and work back to the intro first , because that loop is where i want to get to not play it over and over :-)
I like this idea ! :tu:
(Sometimes I wish Kvr had a simple, FB style, "like" button, lol :) )
Last edited by Axis1~SL61 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

Hey, I completely understand your dilemma; I haven't made a song in 5 years because every time I start I give up because it never sounds like I song I would listen to, so I scrap it. And yet I have great synths to work with like Sylenth, Dune, Synth Squad, Twin2, Lush-101, Maschine, Komplete, Imposcar2, Blue, Predator, Synthmaster, ACE, ZETA 2, Ultra Analog 2, Oberheim Sem V, V-Station, Synplant, Phosycon, U-NO-LX, Tremor, Microtonic...

Nothing is more fun than having so many musical tools yet no inspiration!

Sorry, had to vent.

Endlessly looping the same 8 bars of transe is a good , fast way to fall asleep... mind your head and your neck, though... it's a good idea to put a pillow between your head and your controller keyboard... :-P :-D
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

I know what ya sayin'. But, really, you're not supposed to get sick of it until mixing. But, in the box work has a terrible, unintentional pitfall of encouraging you to work backwards. Dwelling on the minutiae first then writing a song later is obviously all screwed up.

It's like bringing in an interior decorator before you've built the house!

(He's standing in the mud and grass and you're like "How ya think an aqua and something yellowish would work with the carpet here??" What carpet? The grass?)

Not that there is anything wrong with playing with your DAW and plugins. That's some awesome stuff and why get it if ya ain't gonna play with it? But, yeah, it's distracting as hell, sometimes...

If you just wanna tweak kicks and make loops for a while maybe it's a good idea to sample that work and not simply leave it as an unfinished gonna-be-a-song someday project file? Instead of feeling like you've wasted time, you have actually started a collection of samples that are to your taste and can build your choonz from that already tweaked and personalized stuff. Now, ya got stuff that's already tweaked and it's your stuff and maybe (maybe) you can get on with making tunes by pulling from your own library since you won't have to waste time with thinking 'that kick sucks, gotta spend an hour fixing it', 'i don't have a good hook for this' etc.

I've been in some bands and i've noticed that some of the better (most effective) guitar players have, like, some 'presets' of stomp box and amp tweak combinations memorized or written down and some nifty 'licks' and a few riffs that ain't made it in a song yet hanging around waiting. So, it's really nothing new...

I get tired of working on tracks for months without ever finishing them. And even if I did: What for?
I think the only reason to make music for non-professionals is to play live.
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Septimon wrote:I get tired of working on tracks for months without ever finishing them. And even if I did: What for?
I think the only reason to make music for non-professionals is to play live.
I don't understand this. But, you make tracks to make tracks. Why else? WTF??? Make the best 'tracks' you can, always. That's what bob dylan did. That's what the hammond organ player in the church did when i was a little kid. What's the difference?

spacecult wrote:I don't understand this. But, you make tracks to make tracks. Why else? WTF??? Make the best 'tracks' you can, always. That's what bob dylan did. That's what the hammond organ player in the church did when i was a little kid. What's the difference?
:tu:

Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination ...
... space is the place ...

thats why i always work on two or more tracks simultaneously.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Copy your loop and remove the most distinctive thing about it from the copy. Work with that for a while. Substitute the original back in later and see if you still like it.

Simple, create music that you hate. That way you can never get sick of it.

I've studied yoga for ten years and I STILL can't give myself a blowjob.

I'm thinking maybe I should reassess some conceptual fundamentals.

Aroused by JarJar wrote:I've studied yoga for ten years and I STILL can't give myself a blowjob.

I'm thinking maybe I should reassess some conceptual fundamentals.
Yes, perhaps anilingus is he answer!

Return to “Production Techniques”