Good ways to make your songs approximately the same volume?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well for me gates are easier.

matthew_wehttam wrote:Well for me gates are easier.
Easier maybe but rather inaccurate. And time-consuming. Because you have to find the exact threshold...

Isn't that why loudness measuring tools were invented, to measure more precise? Maybe Compyfox can say something about it?

Again, gated measurement only makes sense for analyzing a whole stream (i.e. a song with 5 minutes length) and then offer an average value of the track (Dynamic Range Meter, offline mode!), or a certain offset to a given reference level (Integrated Loudness in EBU R-128).

It does not really make sense for realtime usage to get a "similar loudness" for mixing.
It really, really doesn't!

A gate is a tool to clean up signals in the first place. Maybe shape transients (which is possible! Make a more transient heavy snare out of a too long sustaining one for example). But not for the purpose what matthew_wehttam is trying to pull off.

Sorry to burst your bubble right there.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Production Techniques”