Good ways to make your songs approximately the same volume?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. I am going to be finishing up 20 some songs soon and I would like to master them so that they are around the same volume level. I would like to do this without squashing them or expanding them. So, do you have any suggested methods or methodologies that will work?

To reword: how do you go about getting your songs approximately near the same volume?

Ear.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Toneboosters EBU Loudness keeps all my tracks at aprox the same volume.I dont go mental with the limiting either,once the loudest part of my mix hits my limit I dont push any further.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

average RMS loudness?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I always experiment with the compressor and limiter how loud I can push them. Because some songs are already pretty distorted and need rather careful treatment while others can be pushed harder (i. e. made louder).

If you want to have MP3 of a similar volume (for listening pleasure), I recommend the program MP3Gain.

Edit all tracks on Apple Soundtrack Pro (discontinued), on HOFA CD-Burn & DDP or similar audio software.

Ear here too
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Your listener doesn't have all this fancy bollox.
He only has his ear, so use that. Well not his obviously :hihi:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Your listener also has a volume control, so he can make a certain song louder. As long as the difference between the songs isn't more than 5 db, it won't make a bad impression, IME ("in my experience" or "in my ears").

The simple way: Analyzer with RMS + listening ;)

The other way:
A Dynamic Range meter (there is a free offline version for PC which can analyze a complete wave/mp3 file and displays the DR value). There is also a plug-in version from Brainworx.
Some other similar tools like the included loudness meter with Cubase 7.

Also tools analyzing and displaying the "crest" factor (The crest factor is the difference between the RMS level and the peak level over the course of the song) are helpful.

Careful bus compression, a good limiter, and TB EBU-Loudness. BC DP meter too.

For me lately, it's been FabFilter Pro-MB and Pro-L. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Bx_meter is also one of my favorites for the master buss.

I use Blue Cat's DP meter and Klanghelm's VUMT on channels as well when mixig.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

I only trust an EBU R-128 meter that is either calibrateable, or uses the K-System v2 concept.

Say you want your loudness to be consistent at K-14v2.
You then take EBU Loudness by ToneBoosters (works fine in demo mode, only resets on playback stop, with now 20EUR, previously 15EUR, highly affordable!). You should have your eyes on the Short Term Loudness meter (SL in short).

The average signal should ideally hover between -3LU and 0LU with the K-14v2 scale, Forte Fortissimo passages should ideally not(!) exceed +3LU.

Adjust your tracks accordingly, limit with an appropriate limiter at -1dB True Peak and you're pretty much future proof. Your tracks should also be consistent throughout. If you check the whole 20-track stream, the Integrated Loudness (the whole "program" so to speak) should be within +/- 1LU.

Doing this for quite a while now - this system never failed me.

Mixing lies on a whole different ballpark. I also use a Digital Meter / VU Meter combination in this case. Though for me it's Cubase internal Digital Channel Meter and Klanghelm's VUMT.

My KVRmarks might give you some further insight.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

hire a mastering engineer.

On a CD, or virtual CD , you may need to lower the volume on songs
that are mainly highs and a few mids. You don't want a first time
listener to be riding the volume knobs between tracks with
a wide disparity in frequencies, or they may not become a fan.

You can hand edit to lower spikes in the waveform, and then
raise the overall level. But the ear will determine when enough
is enough. Play the folder of songs into about 30 seconds,
then skip to the next one, and note any irritating differences
that need fixing. A car stereo, $15 earbuds, and a home theater,
make a good set of reference listening devices.
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

One of the reasons I upgraded from Studio one "producer" to "professional" was for this very reason. The single most organized way to grouping you songs I've ever seen. Then you can adjust accordingly or "remix" that song on the fly.

I realize this is not the most desirable solution for many, but felt the need to bring it up for better or worse.

Return to “Production Techniques”