How do I master my tracks as loud as commercial EDM tracks?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

I'm an EDM producer and was wondering if any of you knew how professionals master their track so loud. I have an attached picture comparing two tracks (mine and a pros).

The first on is mine (I mix at a low volume), the second one is a real commercial track.

Are there any good videos online explaining how to do this?

Thank you!
Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dynamic range looks roughly the same, only yours has less gain. Try a limiter to chop off some of the errant peaks, if that doesn't work, go back to your mix and make it cleaner but cutting more frequencies.

But to look at the bigger picture, the loudness war has to bottom out somewhere, presumably before the entire song becomes a modulated squarewave. Yes, try for a loud mix if you're doing dance but ultimately it's the content that engages the listener on any meaningful level. At least, that's what I keep telling myself :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

As you can see Martin Garrix song is badly and very lightly mastered - you can see it still has blue color in the background. It should be whole white no matter how deep you zoom in the waveform..

sonicpowa wrote:As you can see Martin Garrix song is badly and very lightly mastered - you can see it still has blue color in the background. It should be whole white no matter how deep you zoom in the waveform..
Haha love the answer and the video. I understand some of you might not like this type of audio mastering, but my question wasn't asking if you could criticize it.

But I like this type of mastering and Garrix song is so not-loud.. It loses its potential from bad mastering. LOUDER!!

sonicpowa wrote:But I like this type of mastering and Garrix song is so not-loud.. It loses its potential from bad mastering. LOUDER!!
It's not even Martin Garrix's track... It a remix by Oliver Heldens

Sendy wrote:Dynamic range looks roughly the same, only yours has less gain. Try a limiter to chop off some of the errant peaks, if that doesn't work, go back to your mix and make it cleaner but cutting more frequencies.
I thought this was a pretty good answer. try this...

heck. what happens if you normalize the track?

Robin Strand wrote:It's not even Martin Garrix's track... It a remix by Oliver Heldens
Still only loud-ish, not LOUD!

Well, seriously speaking loud mastering shouldn´t be that hard if you have good balanced song to start with and a good limiter/clipper.

2 words
O-Zone.....

In my experience it is the mix that is loud and not the master.
Mix your track loud from the start and it will be easier to achieve a competitive master.

Pay attention to your mids and make sure your kick is peaking the mix. :)
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

osiris wrote:2 words
O-Zone.....

Oh yeah, Ozone is the bollox too. The 3rd setting on the limiter is SO Punchy.

I love it! :hihi:
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

By f8888ing EQing them first :party:
And if want your waveform to look the same add as much white noise as posible :hyper:
Last edited by Blue-eyed Blonde Ape on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

faun2500 wrote:
osiris wrote:2 words
O-Zone.....

Oh yeah, Ozone is the bollox too. The 3rd setting on the limiter is SO Punchy.

I love it! :hihi:
Which setting/preset are you talking about?

faun2500 wrote:In my experience it is the mix that is loud and not the master.
Mix your track loud from the start and it will be easier to achieve a competitive master.

Pay attention to your mids and make sure your kick is peaking the mix. :)
Is it not peaking in my track? The Kick is already really loud, what should I do? Increase the gain of the kick even more?

Return to “Production Techniques”