Make your bass Sound full (EDM)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys!.., im searching for tips and Info about how to make your bass In edm drops Sound full and heavy.. By that i mean eq/compress/layering.. How do you guys achieve This solid Sound?

I guess sub bass is a very important thing!..,so.. Kick / sub bass / bass? Or??

Tell your methods!.. :)..

Mickey

Saturation plugin.

Good monitoring
Skill
Practice
Knowledge

The 'phat' button has yet to be invented.

Next time try making the thread title make MY bass sound full.

tehlord wrote:Good monitoring
Skill
Practice
Knowledge

This.

For example, with a little help from a plugin:

(I don't use it but it's pretty good, though.)

The most important thing you can do for your bass is what you do to everything else that ISN'T bass. A lot of records just use a simple unmixed sine wave for a bassline (Akai Test Program anyone?!), then the impact comes from the fact that that sine wave is the only thing really happening down in the bass - it has it's own space.

As has been mentioned, saturation also helps. Gentle lowpassing and saturation are pretty much the closest you can get to a "Phat Button" - but you'll need to learn to adjust the settings for best results.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Samplecraze wrote:This
:tu:

Top read!
... space is the place ...

Pick the right bass or program it so it's sound good. Use a second oscillator with a sine or triangle wave and tune it 1 octave below the first oscillator for the subs.
If the synth provides some "sub oscillator" stuff, this also a good option.
Use the low pass filter and a proper (short) filter envelope.

Layering of 2 different bass sounds for middle/subs and highs.
Saturation... there are dozens of options for saturation, some of the newest is from Native Instruments "Supercharger GT".
Compression to make the bass more solid, sometimes (very often) it needs also EQing of overlapping frequencies with the kick.

Keep the bass simple and clean. Any noise or resonance will cripple it. Of course you can filter these out, but then you'll loose some power.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

youtube dude. They teach almost anything

tehlord wrote:Good monitoring
Skill
Practice
Knowledge

Sendy wrote:The most important thing you can do for your bass is what you do to everything else that ISN'T bass. A lot of records just use a simple unmixed sine wave for a bassline (Akai Test Program anyone?!), then the impact comes from the fact that that sine wave is the only thing really happening down in the bass - it has it's own space
Definitely this. I don't know what genre of EDM the OP was referring too and it would have being very helpful information to provide but a lot of EDM (particularly House music) the bass is just a simple sine wave with minimal processing applied. In terms of Electro or Dubstep obviously processing and arrangment can become more complicated and usually plug-ins like Ohmicide/WOW filter come into play more.

However, as the posts I have quoted state....The chances are If your tracks are lacking fullness/energy its a combination of a lot of things and the bass sound might not even be the cause. Its difficult to comment without an audio example but with practice, sample choice (choosing the right percussion and kick drum can make a world of difference), correct use of side-chaining (again creates space) and knowing how to mix/EQ (again expensive headphones or monitors in a treated room will help) will all help in creating a balanced mix to achieve the "fullness" or what I refer to as "commercial quality".

Hope this helps and if you post an audio example I'm sure people will provide more specific feedback/help .

Return to “Production Techniques”