Looking for pointers to create that Knife Party-ish sound

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love the kind of sound Knife Party create. It seems to be different from most other commercial EDM in that it sits somewhere between electro house, dubstep and drum & bass in terms of the mix of style, sounds, bpm and so on.

However, not many things I can find, if anything at all, about creating this type of sound. Tutorials on creating electro house, dubstep, d&b etc are all exclusively for them style and don't really fit and any tutorials I do find are specific about copying a very specific synth sound, which I don't really wanna do as I want to create my own sound in that sort of style, if that makes sense.

Anyone know of any good tuts or got any pointers?

Produce DNB for over 10years and learn the ins and outs of it then take those skills and transfer them to "EDM"

Your not going to learn to produce or arrange like Rob Swire from watching some tutorials on youpube or any advice you get off here.so knuckle down and get racking them years of experience up :tu:

TIMT
I

Sorry, should have added more info maybe! :)

I am in my late 20s and have previously worked in a studio about 12 years ago but was entirely hardware and I am completely new to the digital way of creating music and mixing etc. I have also been playing guitar since the age of 9, been in several bands (mainly indie or rock ones) and am also self-taught in piano (though not hugely proficient but can play chords and notes simultaneously etc). I also play other instruments like bass, drums etc. I also DJ, using a Traktor Kontrol S4 but tends to be more commercial house and electro (everyone needs to pay the bills :) ).

Thought I would add this as the above reply implies my original post may have sounded like a pleading 16 year old nerd with no idea or musical background looking for a short cut :)

So it´s a late 20´s year old nerd looking for a shortcut?? :hihi:

My 1st answer still applies.it doesn´t matter how many years you´ve been producing with hardware or how proficient you are on keyboard or guitar,you´d still need about those same amount of years dedicated to the genre or style you want to become equally proficient in to be of a similar caliber to Robs productions.though,don´t get me wrong it´s extremely well produced for the genre but it´s still shit music regardless :D

TIMT
I

You have to work almost sound to be just right: stereo field, volume modulation (wobble), tone, fit in the mix etc. For example he may take two basses layered and just take one and slightly delay the pitch modulation. Just tons of little stuff like that. Rob just works his sounds extremely well. When he puts them all together because all the sounds work so well he can compress the hell out them and they still sound good. It's lots of back and forth detail oriented work. If you listen to KP songs, a lot of the sounds are generally the same as you hear in other songs, they are just richer/fuller etc. Lots of multiband layering / processing. Rob will spend days on the key sounds individually...

There's no substitute for the intuition you build from having a close relationship with sound for years on years. These people who make good dance music and carve out their own distinct sound are almost impossible to emulate and trying to do so will just land you in with all the copycats who seem satisfied with being a cut-down version of something else.

Tutorials can be good, but they're a fast track to the middle. I don't take them very seriously at all, but occasionally you'll learn a neat trick you might not have otherwise.

If you're not so much trying to sound like them as you are just wondering what makes their stuff stand out (I don't know personally because I don't listen to KP), then the question you're asking is almost definitely "how can I sound really, really good" which is just too broad a question. There is no "magic button" or secret technique to good music - to steal a quote from someone else who I can't remember who said it - good music is the culmination of hundreds of seemingly minor decisions all made impeccably and with a cohesive vision in mind.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “Production Techniques”