What do you do with all these free loops?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Usually I don't buy construction kids anymore, I can make my own kids... :P

But if I see somewhere the term "free loops" - and if it isn't a taster or demo pack and I don't have to like them on Facebook or send them photos of my flat or tell them my whole address -, then I cannot resist to download it...

So I have collected now tons (many GBs) of free loops and I don't know what do with them. The last thing I downloaded was the free sample pack "Winter Tech" from Function Loops and...well, it's not the worst one but I can only use maybe 8 % of it in my songs. Bass loops...meh...I'd like to make my own bass lines, drum loops...well, the kick sounds GREAT but the rest...pretty average...the synth loops...err...a few of them are nice but most of them sound quite boring.

What do you do with all these free loops? Do you delete them? Or do you mangle them to make something completely new out of them? And if you do, how do you mangle them?

I send them to the torture chamber.

mmhahahaha ha ha haa haaa haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

The worst thing that could happen to them: I only play them once. :hihi:
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Sendy wrote:I send them to the torture chamber.

mmhahahaha ha ha haa haaa haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa
Something like this?

each time I have a new pack I narrow them down to only best samples I can use. Often a 1 gig pack is narrowed down to only 100mb. I just load of fl studio which has a nice single click preview and test every one of them, the ones that sound good I simply enter into new channel, when I have completed running through them all I simply export all data files into a newly created sub folder within the sample folder then delete rest. Its easier and when its finished all the samples in that folder have 'passed the test' and all sound good imo
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tricky-Loops wrote:So I have collected now tons (many GBs) of free loops and I don't know what do with them.
On your Internet connection :o

Anyway, my DAW came with thousands of loops, but I never even tried them. Usually I start out by making chords and melodies, and the rhythm comes later. So it is much easier to make my own drum loops than to try and find some loop that accidentally fits.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:So I have collected now tons (many GBs) of free loops and I don't know what do with them.
On your Internet connection :o

Anyway, my DAW came with thousands of loops, but I never even tried them. Usually I start out by making chords and melodies, and the rhythm comes later. So it is much easier to make my own drum loops than to try and find some loop that accidentally fits.
Well, I had a much better internet connection some years ago; only since I had to relocate 1 1/2 years ago I have to use this "4 GB per month" flat rate, and when it's consumed, they brake everything down to 32 kbps, except on one day per week and then I'm downloading everything which I couldn't download all the other days...

Now I'm having around 90 GB samples (and loops), 80 % of them is free stuff... :o

Tricky-Loops wrote: construction kids

I move them to Soundware.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:I move them to Soundware.
Huh, wasn't it right in "Samples & Sampling"? :o

I don't want to sell soundware...
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Usually i put a little "wig" on them to change them a bit.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

t3toooo wrote:Usually i put a little "wig" on them to change them a bit.
:help:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tricky-Loops wrote:

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Emphasis added.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Emphasis added.
I don't want to discuss about sample libraries. I want to discuss about sampling of free loops... :!:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
D.H. Miltz wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:

Emphasis added.
I don't want to discuss about sample libraries. I want to discuss about sampling of free loops... :!:
no no loop libraries not loops :dog:

TTU Youtube

Return to “Production Techniques”