What do you do with all these free loops?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

t3toooo wrote:Usually i put a little "wig" on them to change them a bit.
Did you mean "pig"? And where's your pig avatar? :?:

Tricky-Loops wrote:where's your pig avatar? :?:
I removed it,it doesn't look so nice with the new forum layout,thanks for asking.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

I'd be happy about some serious suggestions...

Or does everyone delete all loops of sample packs that cannot be used for songs? And if, why even bother to download them, just to delete 80 % of them? :phew:

I thought people would make some crazy sound design with boring free loops and samples... :idea:

I wish the sonar x3 download hadn't had so much extras >:/

arkmabat wrote:I wish the sonar x3 download hadn't had so much extras >:/
Being a REAPER user, I didn't have any problems with included loops & samples because there are - none! :P

To be serious.

Often what i don't like with "Free Loops" or "Free Samples" it's not always clear how freely you can use them.

There are plenty of "free" sounds on freesound.org but all of them are licensed with the creative commons license.
Depending on the claims you have to name the author even if you use just one snippet squelched in a sample puree.
At least that would be the legal way.

also,i prefer to not use a whole loop,i like to slice them, even more when it is a drum loop because a whole loop would predetermine the groove and/or melody.

Anyway i keep my collected free library's on my hard drive and sometimes i take a look what's in the folders,you never know if there is something usable,even if it's just a snippet.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Tricky-Loops wrote:What do you do with all these free loops? Do you delete them?
I have an inbuilt function that makes it impossible for me to delete anything. With harddrive space so cheap these days, I always manage to find space for them somewhere anyhow.

But loops, free or not, I do not particulary use much of 'em

One possible use is to select a big batch, put them in a sampler, press play on random, and put some heavy reverb on it. Will probably sound fabulous when drunk down the club :clown:

How about Production Techniques?
No longer a moderator.

t3toooo wrote:There are plenty of "free" sounds on freesound.org but all of them are licensed with the creative commons license.
Depending on the claims you have to name the author even if you use just one snippet squelched in a sample puree.
what's the problem with that, out of interest?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I don't collect loops, only one-shot samples. Usually I either look for specific sounds on the internet or just browse sample packs and select only a few nice sounds out of them.

However, recently friend showed me that sampling loops is a powerful feature of Ableton and I'm going to try it soon. But in fact it's only about percussion.
whyterabbyt wrote:
t3toooo wrote:There are plenty of "free" sounds on freesound.org but all of them are licensed with the creative commons license.
It's impractical close to impossible, since I couldn't name the authors of these samples I already used in my tracks.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I store them in my loops folder and maybe drag one or two out if I'm in the mood to fiddle with loops

The only loops I use are percussion or actual instruments such as guitar. The rest I would bin. Sometimes I like to get creative with a filter or a delay. The Cubase mod machine sometimes works well on percussive loops.
Cubase user, House producer.

http://soundcloud.com/gavin-jackson

If I'm feeling obsessive about wasting storage space, I'll audition them and keep what I like, trashing the rest. Mostly, though, I dump them onto DVD-R for archiving and rare later perusal. I don't download much of anything any more. I've a huge pile from all my DAW packages already, and a ton I've downloaded free from the web. I tend to focus more on instrument samples than loops, anyway. Occasionally I actually use a loop, but I try to mash it up a bit somehow to customize it. It's very disappointing to me to discover a loop in a DAW package's freebies was the direct source for a band's neat drums in a song...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

DJ Warmonger wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
It's impractical close to impossible, since I couldn't name the authors of these samples I already used in my tracks.
I don't like all this "attribution-needed" stuff, either. Simply because I don't want to attach to every song a list with all the samples that I've used, together with the producer names.

When I pay for loops or percussion samples, I want to use them without attribution.

Tricky-Loops wrote:I don't like all this "attribution-needed" stuff, either. Simply because I don't want to attach to every song a list with all the samples that I've used, together with the producer names.
Who says you have to attach something to the song? Freesound.org explicitly says its enough to provide a list on your website.

http://freesound.org/help/faq/#licenses-1

And freesound.org gives you an easy means of identifying all the samples youve downloaded, and who attribution would belong to.

'Taint exactly rocket surgery.
When I pay for loops or percussion samples, I want to use them without attribution.
Except this wasnt a thread about loops you pay for, so thats kind of irrelevant.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Production Techniques”