How does Martin Garrix come up with his melodies?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJ Warmonger wrote: Martin Garrix didn't come up with anything.
He is just one of thousands people who made similiar tracks before and will be making them in the future.
He is not a genius, prophet or avantgarde artist. He's just lucky guy. Lucky enough to be noticed and become marketed product.

Thus, there is nothing to admire. Nothing to follow. No advice to be given.

Anybody can make music like Martin Garrix.

But there's no point. You can't sell same shit twice.
I agree with you but you could also apply this to many other genres. How many kinds of guitar music have been done to death and have become totally devoid of all originality? The musicians in question may play real instruments instead of drawing stuff in with a mouse but in the end, past a certain point in their practice they switched their brains off and went into copy-cat mode.

lotus2035 wrote:
He is just one of thousands people who made similiar tracks before and will be making them in the future.
He is not a genius, prophet or avantgarde artist. He's just lucky guy. Lucky enough to be noticed and become marketed product.

I agree with you but you could also apply this to many other genres. How many kinds of guitar music have been done to death and have become totally devoid of all originality? The musicians in question may play real instruments instead of drawing stuff in with a mouse but in the end, past a certain point in their practice they switched their brains off and went into copy-cat mode.
How many millions of cover bands are in this copy-cat world? :o

chokehold wrote:who? :shrug:
exactly...
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

nvr mnd

In the Studio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV6otZZxz9U

tbh that covers most 'big room' house at the moment ;)

He's turning 18 next Wednesday....

A problem with getting a big hit at young age, is that sound quickly get dated, one-hit wonder.

Anybody remember Darude, he had a huge eurotrance hit with Sandstorm at the time of the Millennium, where is he now?

Here, he talks all about it. Freeze at 9:47 to see the TeamAir registered Sylenth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfCmoEixxro

Notwithstanding the refreshing chance for KVR members, such as myself, to spout off about some young hoodlum who nicks software and makes shit, but 'fashionable', music... in all fairness this thread is simply a wind-up.

Check the ''new'' OP's hit and run tactic.

One thing's for sure: last year it was Aviici, this year it's Garrix, and next year some other young twat will come along with twattingly boring beatz and big drops, twattingly being proclaimed by some other young (non-musical) twats as the greatest gift to Twat.
Despite him twattishly lifting melodies from any number of incestuous songs in the past 10 years and twatfully using pirated software because he's just a thieving twat.

And we'll all get out our pitchforks again to give 'X' a good old-fashioned twatting on a forum.

Because it's a refreshing chance for KVR members, such as myself, to spout off about some young hoodlum who nicks software and makes shit, but 'fashionable', music...

aaaahhh....another refreshing series of posts by some diehard cynics....pittipat on headmit....stick in corner.....:hihi: :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Tricky-Loops wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:

How many millions of cover bands are in this copy-cat world? :o
Way too many.
[Insert Signature Here]

ghettosynth wrote:Here, he talks all about it. Freeze at 9:47 to see the TeamAir registered Sylenth.

This seems to be the key ingredient to getting exposure via future music magazine...I don't understand it at all and just leaves me SMH everytime.
It is very sad how these thieves are applauded and frequently spawn 'how to get 'insert name here' x, y and z component sounds'. Depressing but not at all surprising.

Cheers for that link ghettosynth, I now know his workflow/method and it won't last long. Got one shit wonder written all over it ;)

All the best

Dean

ghettosynth wrote:Here, he talks all about it. Freeze at 9:47 to see the TeamAir registered Sylenth.

This seems to be the key ingredient to getting exposure via future music magazine...I don't understand it at all and just leaves me SMH everytime.
It is very sad how these thieves are applauded and frequently spawn 'how to get 'insert name here' x, y and z component sounds' threads.

Depressing but not at all surprising.

Cheers for that link ghettosynth, I now know his workflow/method and it won't last long. Got one shit wonder written all over it ;)

All the best

Dean

Tricky-Loops wrote:
mandarin wrote:Is it all about studying music theory?
Music theory is only a skeleton, you have to make it alive by learning an instrument. The better you play an instrument, the better you'll become in making melodies...
i disagree. technical prowess only has importance if the melody you have in your head demands it (and good melody needn't be difficult)

also, i disagree that music theory is a pre-requisite for good melody, though it can absolutely be a great starting point

to the op : just keep listening to music: all types of music. definitely take in as much non-edm as you can. listen to classical music, classic movie soundtracks, songs from great songwriters.

also, go at it from another angle. find soloists whose single, solo, melodic performances invoke a sense of a complete accompaniment. then try to do the same (no need to be an accomplished musician; whistling in the shower will do)

If you want any kind of edge within a traditionally cut 'n' paste, drag 'n' drop genre, then you need to start listen to everything BUT

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
to the op : just keep listening to music: all types of music. definitely take in as much non-edm as you can. listen to classical music, classic movie soundtracks, songs from great songwriters.

also, go at it from another angle. find soloists whose single, solo, melodic performances invoke a sense of a complete accompaniment. then try to do the same (no need to be an accomplished musician; whistling in the shower will do)

If you want any kind of edge within a traditionally cut 'n' paste, drag 'n' drop genre, then you need to start listen to everything
Good advice el-bo, but completely falling on a WUM troll's ears.

@ Barry - indeed :hihi: (and see you in the next one!)

Just download torrents of "vengeance" sample collections and drop the different layers onto the arrangement window. That's how it's done I guess.
If you actually want to create the melodies by yourself (no need to really, not even the "professionals" do that apparently), get a midi keyboard and some trance rompler vsti (also from "vengeance"). Just record, hit the white keys randomly and quantise afterwards to a grid of 1/8 or 1/16. Drag the notes around in the grid a bit. Afterwards, for mastering, download "Ozone 5" and switch through the presets. Use the loudest one. Done.

Return to “Production Techniques”