Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compyfox wrote:Got it, so Tone2 gives away a bundle (interesting), while all other companies offer one of the available tools.

What about second and third place? Can they take what's left? How is that handled through OSC?
Yes. First place participant announces in a post what he/she wants then the second one picks from the rest, then 3 , 4 and 5.
Compyfox wrote: I try to make the rules a bit more clear in terms of winning once we got the main questions cleared. I think one person should globally take care of handling the won licenses: meaning either the headmaster, or a second-in-command of the competition. I basically set up the rules only and started the first threads. So I'd like to keep it a bit low in the future.
I can pitch in if you need any help. I am okay with Eric contacting the sponsors, no worries.
Compyfox wrote: But... handling over 100 entrants/submissions will be a nightmare to sort and vote! This would clearly break our set timelines, and our personal spare time for this.
100? are you kidding me. I don't think we will have that many submissions, not unless we have some excellent plugins in prize pool. OSC-60 had record breaking 68 entries, that's because it was free choice to select any plugin to create a track. Ableton, U-He, Lennar (Sylenth), Linplug donated prizes.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Uncle E wrote:
satYatunes wrote:Eric please submit the track. It will keep the momentum going. Secondly, the main purpose is to share the technique and story behind it, I guess everyone will find it helpful. It may also open up ideas for others who are at the verge of start. You can throw in some advice for those who are new as well.
Soon. I still need to do a listen with fresh ears per the guidelines. :)
what? we have that in guidelines? haha.. fox has really gone to details on this one.. looking forward to it.
Website | Portfolio

The guideline was not to submit within 24 hours of the day/hour the competition started - my recommendation was to take another listen to it at the next day prior to submission.

Just in case. ;)

EDIT:
Btw... the vote system of KVR is limited to 10-20 bullet points max IIRC. If we exceed that number for entrants, I think we need to drop the voting through the KVR system and rather dig through post-by-post and do the numbers ourselves.

A ton more work - but so far, we're not at that point yet. And I'm sure we can figure something out by the day we get to the votes.

I try to rewrite the "winning" rules the next 48 hours.

EDIT 3am:
A very late edit. I just slightly altered the rules to make certain points more clear. For example, that the artistic freedom is limited to "mixing the provided content only", not remixing or re-recording stuff. I also made clear that the main competition winner will get a "first serve", and I also made the available ammount of sponsored plugins a bit more clear (Sonivox through JRR and Camel Audio are individual plugins each, Tone2 offers a bundle).

If I missed something, or something needs further refinement. Please let me know. If we're clear so far in terms of rules, I try to provide my rendition of the track by mid/end of this week. Depending how much spare time I have at my disposal.

Oh and... Moderator D.H. Miltz was kind enough to pin the threads for the time being. Though I also already made a FR to the board admins to maybe finally consider a separated sub section on KVR for challenges. The thread can be found here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=413299

We also still have to definitely clear how the winners can get access to their won tools. I'd like to see a global reference person for that. Uncle E is already the headmaster, and CEO of JRR shop. That part is easy to cover. In terms of other sponsors, I kind if find it strange that there should be a spokes person that contacts the developers of the person that won. But... I think this is to prevent abuse and if it worked for the OSC and the SWC, maybe it does work with the MC as well.

satYatunes was kind enough to offer that spot. And I think it's okay that he can still vote. He's not leading the competition after all. That is the headmaster's thing. And I currently provide the template for further competitions only (less work for everyone) - but I still try to answer technical questions as good as I can.

So the first challenge will be fairly relaxed, the next ones will be stict.
Think: lashing, being forced to wear pink shirts, disqualifications and all that good stuff. ;)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

These prizes are getting cool. Is it against the rules to submit my own mix?

nineofkings wrote:These prizes are getting cool. Is it against the rules to submit my own mix?

BUT, I like the song :)

nineofkings wrote:Is it against the rules to submit my own mix?
As defined in the song provider rules, the provider has to sit this one out.

Meaning: you can mix if you want. But you can't submit.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

nineofkings wrote:These prizes are getting cool. Is it against the rules to submit my own mix?
haha... don't drool over the prizes, you will get your chance next time... you have done your bit already, just relax and watch us screwing up your track.. :lol:

Forgot to ask, am I allowed to submit a mix? I was planning to take a shot at it. If it's going to look weird as I am part of organizing team and involved in other activities then it's fine.
Website | Portfolio

NoK, I plan on submitting an entry... IF I happen to win, you have my prize for the quality tracks... :tu:
You need to limit that rez, bro.

What about folks like me who do this for a living? Can I submit a mix (even if I were exempt from the prizes or something?). Does it just unbalance/upset things if pro's are allowed in? I really don't mind if you consider that the case. I know I said in another thread that I'm not keen on the idea of competitions in artistic endeavours but I might want to be part of it just for the ol' kvr spirit :D
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

satYatunes wrote:Forgot to ask, am I allowed to submit a mix? I was planning to take a shot at it. If it's going to look weird as I am part of organizing team and involved in other activities then it's fine.
Yes, you can submit a mix. The author of the music is the only one who can't submit (though they can vote) and I am the only one who can't vote. Everyone else is completely free to submit and vote.

do_androids_dream wrote:What about folks like me who do this for a living? Can I submit a mix (even if I were exempt from the prizes or something?). Does it just unbalance/upset things if pro's are allowed in?
I don't think it upsets anything. We're all aspiring to similar standards of quality, after all. Also, you being a pro probably means that you don't have as much time to spend perfecting the mix as some others do.

Uncle E wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:What about folks like me who do this for a living? Can I submit a mix (even if I were exempt from the prizes or something?). Does it just unbalance/upset things if pro's are allowed in?
I don't think it upsets anything. We're all aspiring to similar standards of quality, after all.

Cool, thanks for clarifying. By unbalance I meant that fairness might be an issue to some - in which case I certainly wouldn't want to cause any upset among competitors - and would bow out.
Uncle E wrote:Also, you being a pro probably means that you don't have as much time to spend perfecting the mix as some others do.
True although I'm a stickler for tweaking into the wee hours...
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I also do this for a living - still, part time... but... yeah. ;)

Anyone who is semi-to-pro, just dont skimp on explaining what you did!
I would welcome those entries, but they dont serve a purpose without details.

Im sitting this one out. One, my schedule changed. Two, tbh Im not as interested in the 'artistic freedom' thing. It muddies it up for me. I know it is real world, but well I dont like it in the real world either. :hihi:
I cant wait to listen and vote though. Hope to participate next time. :)
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:tbh Im not as interested in the 'artistic freedom' thing. It muddies it up for me.
I'll probably regret asking but what do you mean by this?

Return to “Production Techniques”