Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Blind tests at first would be interesting.

Care to elaborate on that, arkmabat?

BTW:
Listening to the so far provided content... by Nine of Kings and satYatunes. Usable content, like it even. Kings' track is electro-pop/rock and satYatunes is electronic/synthpop most of the time.

Actually, I'd use Nine of Kings' track for a multi-track mix contest, and satYatunes more like for mastering. Though I like his synth tracks from OSC. And some tracks could see a multi-track mix overhaul.

Two artists in the queue I'd say.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

nineofkings wrote:I have an unreleased song kicking around. It's got a very "bedroom studio" aesthetic, which could either be fun or a nightmare to mix. I'd be willing to donate it for this contest. I already have my own mix of it, so it'll be cool to see other interpretations if we decide to use it.

What's the policy on how "un-mixed" the track has to be? If there's some compression or saturation as part of the production rather than the mixing, is that acceptable? Or does it need to be as dry as humanly possible?

Preview: http://kiwi6.com/file/9melpkx4q1
I love this song and I don't think there needs to be a policy on how un-mixed it is (tracking engineers often print their own processing, after all). However, as much as I love the song and can appreciate the characterful out-of-tune vocals, I'd probably re-track the out-of-tune guitars and that would be out of the bounds of this competition.

satYatunes wrote:I did send a PM to OP as requested in the post but never got a response.
I'm sorry for not replying. I listened to a lot of the music on your SoundCloud page and thought a couple of your downtempo tracks would be good fits for this competition. Could we post them here and allow everyone else to decide?

I'd actually start with the NineofKings song, and the next comp could be one of satYatunes downbeat ones.

What do you say to the rules, Eric?
Good enough to start off the competition?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:I'd actually start with the NineofKings song, and the next comp could be one of satYatunes downbeat ones.

What do you say to the rules, Eric?
Good enough to start off the competition?
Works for me.

I think then there are two main things to clear. Well... actually 3 to 4:

1) Can NineofKings provide individual tracks? And if so (especially if he's not a member of the GEMA/RIAA or similar), where can he upload it? (I think he should contact us through PM, so we can setup the first threads)
2) Do we have any sponsors for the winners?
3) When do we officially start?
4) Do we start with new threads, called "KVR MIX CHALLENGE - Number 01, June 2014: Submissions" and one with "KVR MIX CHALLENGE - Number 01 - Gossip", just like the other competitions on KVR?

Oh and... silent submissions, or public submissions? With the rules I posted on page 1, I noted down "public" - with emphasis on "once you submitted, you're not allowed to change stuff around anymore".

You're the headmaster of this, Eric (read: you can also join the competition, but not vote unless there is a tie).
You have the final word.

EDIT:
You can PM me even, and I set things up later that extended weekend (currently, it's "Pentecost Holidays" over here - two days holidays on Sunday and Monday). And... it's fairly late, so I'm heading out and be back at like 3pm or so GMT+1. Read. In 12 +/-1 hours (DST, arg!) form this post's time stamp.

Let's do it. JRR Shop will give away SONiVOX Wobble, Pulse, Vocalizer, or Twist (winner's choice) to whomever gets the most votes. I promise not to vote unless there's a tie. :)

NineOfKings contacted me and has offered to upload a zip of the stems as soon as he's rendered them. What an awesome guy, I can't believe he's 18 making music that good. :)

Just listened to the track, very nice. It will be an interesting challenge of course.

I just contacted a few devs that I have worked with or know personally to see if they are willing to donate any FX plugin for this contest. I will let you know once I get a response. If we get enough sponsor then lets distribute the prize similar to OSC. Top 5 will get a prize of their choice if there are more than 20 entries. If there are less than 20 entries, only 4 prizes, If less than 15, 3 etc.
Regarding voting, is it going to be open or secret?

@Eric - No worries, I just wasn't clear on the requirement. We can use one of the downtempo tracks next month if there is interest.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:Regarding voting, is it going to be open or secret?
Open, I was planning for it to be a KVR poll.

By blind tests, I mean that we would have to match the descriptions to the final products or something. It'd be fun.

Only Sonar Plugs > entry _____
Waves > entry ______

I'm open to it. Could you put the blind listening test together?

It's dependant on extra info from the contestants. I would be willing to gather it and collaborate it if others are interested in the "blind test" idea.

NineOfKings has generously donated his song "Doubtfully Optimistic" to be the first mix. Please download it here:

https://app.box.com/s/uzgviu2v4t7ds2xvwi5g

Nice tune. Just for clarification, unless I missed it on page 1, but I don't think I did, so here goes: is the mixer allowed some artistic control over the individual sounds in each track? By that I mean, specifically, if there's a synth sound I don't particularly like, can I use a filter and some other sound mangling to turn that synth sound into something else, within reason? Same for a bass, a snare, whatever?
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Return to “Production Techniques”