KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC01, June 2014 - Submissions Feedback and Q&A

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey loz,

no chance in listening to your tracks. All links dead unfortunately. :(

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Halma wrote:Hey loz,

no chance in listening to your tracks. All links dead unfortunately. :(

Regards
Sebastian
Hey Sebastian :) They should be fine now - I was updating them with a mix revision about half hour ago.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Here is my entry:

broken link wav

broken link mp3
Last edited by Headphone on Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hmm, links doesn’t work … next try

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/230 ... dphone.mp3

ER... you just disqualified yourself with that move, Android.

Mix revisions are NOT allowed. Rules on Page 1. We made an exception with one user - but it's a no-no rule.

And those people that post songs WITHOUT descriptions, again... please consult the rules on page 1. With MC2, those people without at least some minor description will be instant disqualified.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

What I have done:

Nothing special really … A little bit filtering (mainly Equilibrium), a little bit compression (TLA-100A on the vocals), (maybe too much) Reverb (Valhalla, B2, R2) and tons of automation – especially an unusual amount of panning automation … on the 2-bus only an Elephant who catches two or three snare hits …

Compyfox wrote:ER... you just disqualified yourself with that move, Android.
Oh wow, really? I thought I'd read the rules pretty thoroughly and didn't see that... ah well, I will know next time. I was mixing at very low volume and didn't catch that one of the vocal parts was missing some high frequencies - sorted it out and re-uploaded. I will sit in the sin bin now :dog:

Oh, and the 'tiny tweak' I referred to in my previous post was eq'ing a single snare drum hit that the compressor wasn't catching right (told you I was a perfectionist!).

My wav link doesn't play?!

But it is downloadable with right klick and "Save Link As ..."

@android:
I'll talk about Eric the next days, what he things about it. First MC and all.

@headphone:
KVR has an Edit Function - but I could snag your files just fine. Direct Playback is NOT ESSENTIAL.

When will you send in your mix, Mister Fox?
The weekend. If I can make it due to time constraints.

But you're a fence sitter, you will listen to all tracks and don't make the flaws like everyone else!
No! I only download the content, I don't listen to any of the participants until the voting process.

The rest => GOSSIP!
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

According to the rules: I think I need three more posts to be able to vote … without voting I will be disqualified.

Compyfox wrote:...Unless we talk about a real life scenario where the client is not happy with the mix...
In a real life scenario, not being able to clearly hear an important part of the mix would almost certainly need a quick revision. The two changes I made were purely corrective. Not asking to get re instated - just sayin'.

@headphone:
Then participate with the rest of KVR - plenty of sub boards to up your post count.

There is no need to spam the thread as this is for submissions only. We have a Gossip thread for that purpose.

@Android:
I know that, and I made that pretty much clear in the rules. But we are talking about a CHALLENGE here, not a B2C conversation/deal. I made Uncle E aware of this. He's the headmaster, I'm mere the provider of the rule-book and answering technical Q's in the Gossip thread. He should have the final word.

Hey this is great. I'm enjoying listening to what people have done, and learning from it

I love the source song

Not going to have time to have a go myself, but maybe in future mix challenges I'll have a go. My mixing is crappy, so I see this as a great opportunity to practice and learn

Compyfox wrote:I know that, and I made that pretty much clear in the rules. But we are talking about a CHALLENGE here, not a B2C conversation/deal. I made Uncle E aware of this. He's the headmaster, I'm mere the provider of the rule-book and answering technical Q's in the Gossip thread. He should have the final word.
Fair enough, understood.

Return to “Production Techniques”