what is the difference between bigroom house and house?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

V0RT3X wrote:
Yatmandu wrote:There's also this kind of house:

that one turned out to be a big flop though
Ya, too syrupy! Like euphoric trance....

I think this video from Reveal Sound's "EDM Essentials Volume 3" gives the best (or worst) example of Big Room House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXXIb9n0bjo

Right around the :30 second mark and the 1:00 minute mark is that signature, "Loud, lots of resonance and distortion" kind of sound.

The term "House" is just a broad term.

Even when you read about the origins of House, it encompasses many spin-offs like Detroit House, Chicago House, Acid House, etc. all the way back to the mid 80's.

Wikipedia's quote sums it up best, I feel, "While house displayed several characteristics similar to disco music, it was more electronic and minimalistic, and the repetitive rhythm of house was more important than the song itself."

Any Good Username? wrote:oh my god do i have to close this topic or what?
If you want to, nobody f**king cares if you do, just FYI.
i searched on other web site and they said "big room house music is for big room house"
Well then, that settles that. What google doesn't know can't be known, amiright?
You are the smartest guy in this topic. thank you.
Except you still don't know what big room house is.

Go over to beatport and listen to some music until you start to figure some shit out. How hard is that?

A few years ago Progressive House, Epic Trance, and Electro all decided to have a great big orgy. They all dropped massive quantities of the new drug "stupid", along with epic doses of "look at me." They invited all the bros and hos to the party sprinkled everyone with cocaine and molly went at it with gusto. Then, just as the sun was rising, the entire party took one giant collective shit twice the size of tokyo and stinkier than toledo.

That epic turd my friend is, yes, you guessed it, big room house. More epic, more stupid, more annoying, more stupidly and unnecessarily melodic, no groove, no soul, and 100% tasteless.

The most important thing to know about big room house is that it's not really house and the faster that it goes out of style, the better. With any luck, the kids will find something newer, louder, and stupider soon enough. It almost makes me wish grunge or gansta rap would come back. At least the knob twisting posers headlining festivals can't fake that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCawU6BE8P8

If you actually want to learn something, then go spend some time over at Ishkur's guide to electronic music. Ask your mom first, there's some dirty words and stuff.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Oh, and get the f**k off of my lawn!
Last edited by ghettosynth on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Go to beatport and listen to the top 100 Electro House songs.

Then go to Traxsource and listen to the top 100 Soulful/Classic House songs.

For extra credit, listen to the Deep House charts on both sites to determine how all-encompassing deep house has begun, much of which IMO isn't deep at all.

Haha, some clever folks made house music jokes with pictures of different houses. How smart and original, not like that boring generic house music.

dw

Big room house is about DJ farting loud and the crowd enjoying it. :party:

Pervs, that's all I can say.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I always thought big room house just added supersaws.

Like someone really said "Let's put supersaws in House"

You know, there are trance supersaws and big room supersaws and for the God's sake I can't stand the other ones. They are awful, detuned and souless, just like scratching the blackboard or braking car. This is not even music :x
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Big room house is a giant ironic joke, right? To try and sound like a newbie?

Any Good Username? wrote:
nineofkings wrote:The problem is that big room house is a stale and incestuous genre, with everything copying everything else, hostile to innovation. Everything sounds the same. As such, it's not taken very seriously. I tried to give the most basic characteristics above, though.
You are the smartest guy in this topic. thank you.
Obviously smarter then you (and younger). :D
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

I think what pains the dance music cognoscenti about bigroom is that it has more in common with the beginnings of house than the trainspotting-grade stuff that currently passes for deep house and its supposedly better spinoffs.

Disco was about lots of people in a room having fun. House became its successor, later supplanted by the sub genres that drove raves. Bigroom – clue's in the name – is its current successor, albeit without the underground connotations.

Now you could argue that the dancing has become progressively less important (anyone remember disco lessons? You don't need those for house) and how that's a bad thing. But people are at least having a good time. Which is more than I can say for some of the recent performances of the more pure 'underground' form I've been to. That's descending into jazz club comedy beard-stroking and is desperately in need of a shakeup. Bigroom will get its shakeup when it's finally played out and the masses get bored, and that cannot be long now.

dusted william wrote:Haha, some clever folks made house music jokes with pictures of different houses. How smart and original, not like that boring generic house music.

dw
Don't forget vaulted ceilings, open concept and stainless steel appliances.

One is a wonderful disco/gospel/soul inspired celebration of life and love. One is erm... well, we all know.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

robojam wrote:
dusted william wrote:Haha, some clever folks made house music jokes with pictures of different houses. How smart and original, not like that boring generic house music.

dw
Don't forget vaulted ceilings, open concept and stainless steel appliances.
man ...
i love open concept ...

ghettosynth wrote:The most important thing to know about big room house is that it's not really house and the faster that it goes out of style, the better.
I can only assume that lots of people over 40 have edited whistles and glowsticks out of their memories.

Return to “Production Techniques”