VST Plugin for checking KEY

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. I'm looking for the vst plugin for checking the key. Can you recomend me something?

I use this one: http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=7

Try the demo. If you like it, it is only 15$
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Thanks man :)

How accurate is this plugin?

As i've tried a bunch of these tuner vsts and they all seem to show a different key :(

d-s-m wrote:How accurate is this plugin?

As i've tried a bunch of these tuner vsts and they all seem to show a different key :(
It depends of what you are feeding it with. One trick is to add a
little distorsion to for example a kick so it more easy can
determine the key.
My experience is a lot of sounds contains many "informations"
so it is sometimes more a helper than an exact measure tool.

But there is a demo you can try.
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

learn some theory - you won't need any plugins that way. it's not that hard.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Theory can help for checking the key of samples?

why not?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

with every spectrum-analyzer you see the frequencies what's the problem?
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Exactly.. Thanks guys. I use Voxengo SPAN, so I think that it would be perfect for this.

valerian_777 wrote:with every spectrum-analyzer you see the frequencies what's the problem?
The time it takes?

Not to mention it's not a trivial task, western scales give us 84 modes, only 24 of which directly translate to certain "key".

Depending of course the key of what you want to check. To have one-shot samples in tune, spectrum analyzer may be enough (though it takes a while), for a single track as well. There are also numerous off-line DJ tools that perform key analysis automatically and are pretty accurate.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

If you're an FL Studio user, there is a function in the piano roll that will tell you the key of your chord progression or any other sequence of MIDI notes. For individual sounds, I use Voxengo SPAN. This little chart is also immensely useful: http://en.wikiaudio.org/images/b/b4/MID ... _chart.png

It is easy to write a midi algorithm that can ID chord progression 99+ percent and usually make a good guess on key. However, experts can have disagreement sometimes as to what key a tune is in, as it can sometimes be ambiguous. Is is 1, 2m, 4, 5 in C, or is it 5, 6m, 1, 2 in F? Or whatever.

Of course the task would be simpler with the many one chord wonder tunes. :)

Given audio rather than midi it is thornier, because you first guess the notes, and in order to guess the chord progression after having guessed the notes, you have to guess the tempo (or make the user tell you the tempo and song start location). Then assuming your guesses are remotely accurate, it devolves into the same relatively simple code a midi analyzer would use.

For checking gross tuning, nothing beats a halfway trained ear. For checking fine tuning, tuning samples, etc, I' still rather use my ancient conn strobotuner, which works great on almost any timbre once you get a little skill using it. Or alternately an old peterson which is basically the same thang.

Return to “Production Techniques”