Low-end Gerd weak when parallell compressing

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! I have a problem when it comes to compression. I think that is what's lacking in my productions, to get that louder and more "in your face" sound.

I just tried paralell compression for the first time. But when i used it, it took away the lower frequenzies. They got very week. What could be wrong? I'm dragging the threshold far as well as the ratio on the compressed track. Attack at 2 ms and release at 50 ms.

Then I'm also wondering about regular compression. My sounds seems to only get more muddy and less punchy when I compress them. Should it be like this?

VERY thankful for any answer!!

You over compress them, that's why. To get something punchy you need to keep the first transient intact instead of compressing them with the rest. That's why for percussive stuff i use medium attack and fast release.

Btw with compressor (and the rest of mixing stuff) you need to feel, not memorize. Just drag those attack, release and ratio knob until you feel that it sounds good.

And btw for parallel, use hpf before the compressor. That way you don't affect the sub and low frequency much.
musisikamar.com

I could be that the sounds are already compressed a bunch too. Trying to compress something that's lacking dynamic raneg generally just amkes it worse sounding, not punchier. Here's a basic compression guide that might help you understand what's happening a little better:

http://innerportalstudio.com/articles/D ... ontrol.pdf

Return to “Production Techniques”