Sending to mastering with Pultec MEQ5 on?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

long story short:

So, I really like what this plugin (Pultec Meq5) does to the 200hz section where could "things" can go problematic because the frequenciess here take a lot of dynamic range in the frequency field? correct me if I am wrong. I dont know how exactly to explain this but

with Meq5 that *muffy* sound becomes fresh and I really like it so I would like keep it that way. You can feel it instantly. Sometimes you dont notice it but you can feel it for sure. Things are just more sexy. I know engineers can do this also but mostly they dont know what exactly you want. I heard a few mastering jobs from great engineers who did not do this little trick although it would be a nice move.

So what I should do?

send my mixdown with an example what I want

or

send my mixdown with pultec turned ON? That would be a better option for me, but would the engineer have problems with mastering if I leave it on?

Hard to say without hearing it for sure, but if you're really happy with it on, just leave it on. Or send them a version with it on, and one with it off and let them know what you like about the one with it on. A lot of time we can take that and improve on it even more if we know what you're looking for.

Good luck!

In general, if you have effects on the master bus:
* if they are there for artistical reasons, leave them on
* if they are there for thechnical reasons (loudness) then turn them off
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Production Techniques”