KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC06 November 2014 -Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll be submitting a mix later... but I wanted to offer this software i made as a tool for those comparing mixes:

http://lacinato.com/cm/software/othersoft/abx

It's designed for blind ABX listening (see if you can tell which file is which), and for shootouts (choose the best/worst/whatever from an anonymized list), but you don't have to use it blind. You can also use it as a convenient way to play an assortment of different files. You can optionally maintain the play cursor position as you switch files ("keep pos." button). You can set up a loop, you can adjust offsets (for files that don't begin at exactly the same time), and you can adjust gain for individual tracks to level match. It runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows. You can save and load sets of files, offsets/gains, etc.

Thought it might be convenient for just this kind of contest!

Wow! Thanks clepsydrae for that. I'm testing plugins by blind tests (eqs, compressors) - I will try your software with that.

I'm surprised that this wasn't answered yet.

szalonykp wrote:Thanks. There is always some room for correction - as I understand I can make some changes before the deadline?
No, your first entry is final.

Take note of the most current rule set:
Once the first round has ended, the "client" (song provider) listens to all songs, gives feedback, declares who might go into a second mix round or already announces the winners.

:arrow: PSA:
We're looking for new songs to mix in the KVR Mix Challenge - if you have something that you'd like to see mixed by very talented participants, please get in touch with us.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote: We're looking for new songs to mix in the KVR Mix Challenge - if you have something that you'd like to see mixed by very talented participants, please get in touch with us.
You could use stuff that was already mixed/released, right? (Judging from this month's track.)

Yes - as long as it adheres to the rules in the Guidelines.

It can be unreleased, work-in-progress, about-to-be released, once released already (but you're not happy with the result and like to hear a different spin at it), etc.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote: No, your first entry is final.
Ah, ok. No problem.
Compyfox wrote:We're looking for new songs to mix in the KVR Mix Challenge - if you have something that you'd like to see mixed by very talented participants, please get in touch with us.
I will search for something fun to mix for the competition - maybe one of my metal(ish) tracks. I was never happy with my rock/metal mixes.

szalonykp wrote: ... I will search for something fun to mix for the competition - maybe one of my metal(ish) tracks. I was never happy with my rock/metal mixes.
Oh yes, a different genre would be nice!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Just a little bump to say that I agree: no need to change anything, song is perfect :love: .

I'm finishing my mix and can't wait to hear all mixes!

photonic and szalonykp: wow, good job! I'm in love with your mixes! :phones: :tu:

Just a friendly reminder that the KVR MC06 (Round 1) will end on 21-11-2014.

Just had a quick listen to both the tracks submitted so far.
@Photonic - One vocal phrase sounds distant to me.. meaning it may have bit more reverb on it than others. It's the 3rd aaa in the first verse and I can still hear some retriggering in thunder sample. Overall a well balanced track.
@szalonykp - Welcome to mix challenge. Very good work on the vocal parts. Volume level of a few sounds are bit high and clarity of some sounds could have been better.. at least during the outro part (after thunder, rain..). Overall volume level of the track is bit high, have you done any mastering?

I will try to provide more feedback once final round is over..

5 more days to go...
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote: @szalonykp - Welcome to mix challenge. Very good work on the vocal parts. Volume level of a few sounds are bit high and clarity of some sounds could have been better.. at least during the outro part (after thunder, rain..). Overall volume level of the track is bit high, have you done any mastering?
When I was writing about making some changes to my mix I was thinking about the volume of the vocals too :) They are (for me) to quiet in the second part.

I've used Polysquasher and Elephant on the master buss and even that GR is only for a few dB I feel that it's overcompressed.

satYatunes wrote:Just had a quick listen to both the tracks submitted so far.
@Photonic - One vocal phrase sounds distant to me.. meaning it may have bit more reverb on it than others. It's the 3rd aaa in the first verse and I can still hear some retriggering in thunder sample. Overall a well balanced track ...
Hi Satya,
First, I am glad that you like the mix in gerenal. :D
The 3rd "aaa" was intentionally made as an art of backing voice (thinner, lot of reverb and very wide in stereo), the 4th is more in center with less reverb. I saw the 3rd and the 4th "aaa" like an interaction between solo voice and backing voice. I knew that this was probably not your intention, but it was my artistic feeling.
Oh yes, the thunder. I wanted to keep all your samples and this was the best I could achieve with it.

cheers,
Photonic

Hi,

This is my mix:

https://soundcloud.com/dilutedmind/saty ... nd/s-BpQp8

Beat:
Pro-Q2: remove a lot of unwanted mud around 200-500Hz and increase 2.5kHz for the snare
Pro-MB: tame bassdrum a bit more < 120Hz
Pro-C: fight dynamics with 1.5:1 ratio
Nomad MagneticII: to warm up kick and open up the drums
Aphex Vintage Exciter: excite the high freqs a bit more
Kramer Tape: clean and open preset

Crash:
Pro-Q2: some low cuts
H-Delay: A bit widening
Aphex Vintage Exciter: excite the high freqs
panned it left and right

Tables:
PS22 Spread: widening Table04
Pro-Q2 (M/S): increase mid at 100Hz, increase side at 1.6kHz, low cut, hight cut
Timeless2: dynamic chorus preset for width
CLA-2A: some compression
Kramer Tape: exchange harshness with vintage

Bass:
Nomad MagneticII: warm up the bass
Pro-Q2: low cut at 100Hz
CLA-3A: some compression
Scheps73: reduce 110Hz and 360Hz
Live Compressor: sidechained by the kick

Pads:
doubled track. panned a bit left and right and 10ms delay
Pro-Q2: low cut, high cut

Shakus:
panned all samples a bit left and right
Pro-Q2: low cut at 195Hz, high cut at 12khz with Q of 2 to increase high freqs

Guitars:
panned hard right, hard left
Waves Center: on both channels, one with more center, the other with more sides
Pro-Q2: low and high cuts
Waves Vitamin: a bit of dynamics
Live Glue: some compression

Vocals:
low cut on Vox 6 around 200Hz
Vocal Bus:
Nomad Echoes: added a bit of delay
Scheps73: a touch more at 220Hz and 3.2kHz, -3dB at 12kHz, low cut at 160Hz
Vitamin: tweaked Backing Vocal 2 preset
Kramer Tape: some vox slap

Summerrain:

thunder:
replaced the thunder sample

Windchimes:
PS22 Spread: widening

Return Track1:
Valhalla Room: short room

Return Track2:
Valhalla Room: large room

Mix Bus:
Pro-Q2: low cut 120hz sides-only (mono low end)
Scheps73: -1dB at 220hz, -5dB at 700hz, +1dB at 12kHz
Kramer tape: Mastering Big and Open preset

Hello Mixedmind,

Please make the track downloadable!

ups. sorry, I forgot to enable it. Should work now. Thanks for the reminder!

Return to “Production Techniques”