A way to restore the low frequency after suppressing it

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, when I mix, I usually suppress the lower frequencies with the equalizer. The problem is that the result product sounds way too trebly. If I don't touch the low frenquencies, it doesn't sound clean. I was wondering if there's a way to restore(?) the lower frequencies in a good-sounding way?

If you can find JB Smash Pro on the wayback machine, that's the only powerful eq in existence(it's a multiband exciter).

Other than that, you could get Synthedit and do it however it suits you-I used to make insanely loud music, dropping out lows before a clipper, and used this crossover/bass booster to bring it back
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/347 ... ometer.rar
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Maybe your bass and bass drum are just too strong or stereo, which might lead to them sounding not clean.
Have you tried a compressor instead of an eq?

Once you have reduced the bass, it must be hard to restore it out of what is no longer there 8)

The trick for removing rumble and such is to EQ with a low shelf until you hear the effect and then back off a bit so you don't actually hear it. When you roll-off low frequencies to get rid off muddiness and then lose too much energy, the problem might be something else. Try mono-izing your low end with something like basslane (free) and experiment with multiband compressors where you switch off all the bands besides the low band and tighten up the low end.

Also heck Youtube for videos on mixing bass and kicks, lot's of useful info and tricks there.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Sometimes I use Waves LoAir to add weight to the sounds (but it's easy to damage a mix with a tool like that, you have to be extremely carefull not to overdo)... but, if you find you're cutting too much, then maybe there are other issues.

I can't comment without listening to anything (not that I'm good enough to comment, anyway) but, in order to clean my sounds, I often use gating and expansion (I try to cut the tales to make room for other sounds, or even to simulate/enhance dynamics)... I find it a good way to reduce the clutter on the lowend without cutting too much whenever I need to preserve the lowend (though I still equalize out everything I can everytime it's possible and it makes sense).

Resynthetizing is always a pain somehow, so I try to avoid it.

I don't get it - why remove so much that you are lacking something?

Remove less!

And have a look at Waves MaxxBass to fix low end. There is a simpler version of that in Renaissance Bass(RBass) also, but less flexible but praised for being easy to use.

It takes a little while to figure out MaxxBass but it's worth it. You can set it to transpose lower notes an octave up, or just add octave components.

And as always with Waves - have a look at the bundles you might want, and wait for the campaign. If you start buying singles, it prohibit you to buy the excellent bundle when it arrives, since you feel you already paid for part of it.

neueliteratur wrote:Hi, when I mix, I usually suppress the lower frequencies with the equalizer. The problem is that the result product sounds way too trebly. If I don't touch the low frenquencies, it doesn't sound clean. I was wondering if there's a way to restore(?) the lower frequencies in a good-sounding way?

Try this:

Roll off the very lows (like 30-40 kHz down).

Then do a subtle boost in the 300-400 range.

That should keep it from getting too thin.

Cool. Thanks!

Also worth noting if you are not working in a treated room then bass can be a nightmare to balance due to room modes -I have plenty here. If your room is not treated try walking around it and see where the bass peaks and nulls are and it can be quite surprising how variable mixes can sound in different parts of the room.

If you can`t treat the room other tools at your disposal are:

-Spectrum analysers
-Headphones
-Reference tracks
-Testing on different speakers in different rooms and revising problems
-Walking around the room being aware of the room-modes to get some perspective
-Moving your monitoring position to a more neutral part of the room
-vigilance :)

There are also some online calculators to see what frequencies should be causing problems which can be a help:

http://amroc.andymel.eu/

Try different EQs too, they can sound differently depending on if they are linear or minimum phase, etc.

Return to “Production Techniques”