A foray into MIDI controllers

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm considering whether to add a MIDI controller to my setup. My usual DAWs are Tracktion or one or another flavor of Samplitude. I've got a Kurzweil stage piano that's a great keyboard but has virtually nothing by way of controls. I was debating adding either a 25 or 49 key controller, or something like a Korg NanoKONTROL (which would stack easily on top of the Kurzweil).

I've never worked with any sort of controller before, so I don't have a good feel for what advantages I'd gain from it. Would appreciate any advice or insights folks might care to share.

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

hard to give you an answer because it really depends on your needs. Do you need a controller for live tweaking of instrument / fx parameters or for mixing and mastering?
you can't go wrong with a nanokontrol if it is about controlling software instruments (I have two of them on my stage piano for fx / instrument control)
For me a nanokontrol is not too useful for mixing, because it has no motor faders, so it can't receive information from the DAW, only send. I'm quite satisfied with ipad controllers for this purpose (livkontrol, touchable for ableton, cubase IC).
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

"needs" are extremely ill-defined here. :) I'm probably more interested in what it would do for tracking with VSTis and generally making the recording process easier, whether it's keyboard, guitar, voice, what-have-you. For mixing I'm more inclined to draw automation curves with the mouse (and I generally tend toward simpler when mixing).

DaveL
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

well, as I said. I find a few knobs and faders extremely useful to control FX and loudness or selecting instruments by arming the VSTi channel
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Korg nanoKontrol was just the ticket for me - and I did have some rotary knobs etc on my Axiom keyboard (they had that horrible clicking thing, and the acceleration seemed unnatural so it was hard to be precise with it...for me, anyway - and I wanted some sliders). Was perfect. Compact and easy to set up.

I've got a bigger, better kb controller now with sliders and nice smooth rotaries that just feel right so giving my nanokontrol away to someone I know will make use of it. You can pick one up for net to nothing on ebay. Well I did, anyway!

I did get the nano padcontrol one too, but I'm keeping that for the X/Y/touchpad part that comes in handy for certain stuff.

I recommend them anyway - great value for money.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

nanoKontrol2 ordered and on the way. We'll see how this goes.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

I just ordered a Kenton Killamix Mini, will let you know how it goes. Will just be for using with mastering plugins, so I can sit back in the sweet spot and tweak from there.

Return to “Production Techniques”