Stems from my favorites would teach me more in a day than years without

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I realize I'm not saying anything revolutionary here. I'd pay a healthy sum for access to the individual tracks soloed with track processing. If I could hear a few of my favorite songs this way, I could learn more in 24 hours than I might ever know. Producers have their magic that they likely don't want to give away, and that's more than reasonable, imo. Seems like there would be a viable market for all involved if more artists/producers sold stem versions. I'd pay, say $20 a song (maybe more) for the privilege of hearing how it all fits together to make the overall sound.

I'd be thankful to anyone who might have some tips, suggestions, ideas, whatever you have to say.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

One way might be to listen to the mixing contests provided by Compyfox(as I recall) here on KVR.
You have the same material as everybody else, and can hear what other member do with it.

One of the most important lessons learned from listening to http://pensadosplace.tv interviews is probably how much time is spent with a mix to get the result they do.

Dave Pensado share some experiences as well in his In The Lair episodes - drums, vocals and other techniques. That might be what you are looking for.

And I think there are others on internet as well targeting mixing like http://therecordingrevolution.com/

Reading some books helps too - like Producers Manual by Paul White.

lfm wrote:One way might be to listen to the mixing contests provided by Compyfox(as I recall) here on KVR.
You have the same material as everybody else, and can hear what other member do with it.

One of the most important lessons learned from listening to http://pensadosplace.tv interviews is probably how much time is spent with a mix to get the result they do.

Dave Pensado share some experiences as well in his In The Lair episodes - drums, vocals and other techniques. That might be what you are looking for.

And I think there are others on internet as well targeting mixing like http://therecordingrevolution.com/

Reading some books helps too - like Producers Manual by Paul White.
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll look into each of them. I've spent very little time in this section of the board and there's a lot here that I need to look at. I had forgotten about the KVR mix stuff. That would be a great starting point. I feel enthusiastic.

I took a look at Pansados ITL. That is going to be a goldmine for inspiration. I can see that I'm going to learn some things and more importantly, improve my mindset about the process. :tu:

Rather than paying 20 dollars for stems of one song maybe a lot of hobbyists that don't have perfect pitch would rather pay 200 dollars or more for a software that could extract from ANY song just the guitar part, or just the drum kick part, or just the vocal part, etc.

That way, transcribing by ear would not be necessary anymore and a lot of transcribing errors will be bypassed and a lot of time and money could be saved and nobody would need to buy sheet music anymore. Sort of like less and less people need to buy newspapers.

People could use that software to, for one example, extract the bass part of Nirvana's "Come As You Are" song and then use another software, maybe a notation software that converts bass or any single-instrument audio to midi data, to see exactly what notes are being played by the bassist.

Does the Melodyne software already do this? Perfectly? I'm not sure.

Sure, such a software would be perfect for lazy people that could afford it... but wasn't Albert Einstein, and a lot of other super-smart people, an advocate of laziness and shortcuts and macros and minimalism? I myself am trying to write short posts.

But it's really hard. That's why it's long. :lol:

Damn, this insomnia is also long.

Sure wish my iPad didn't toss my long reply into the ether before I finished...speaking of insomnia...I need to crash. I will return.

I recently entered a remix comp, 700 people entered and so not too unsurprisingly my remix did not win. Still I'm glad I entered as downloading the stems and listening to the stems has been good as a reference.
So yeah, keep an eye out for remix comps,they give you stems.

Return to “Production Techniques”