New Bowie song/video - is it me is the drum programming questionable?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WOW! Haven`t seen Bowie in years. Shocking.
Yes those beats are weird indeed.
Bowie has an affinity for drum seqrs.
He`ll program a simple beat and just change the seqr tempo for each track, write a whole album around it.(Black Tie White Noise) Seems that`s what he`s done here...doubled,tripled the tempo.(in the programming) There is considerable swing to this as well which makes it sound very off.
I recognize the drums, I just can`t exactly place them. I think it`s an old drum sampler VSTi. The drum pitches have been lowered by quite an extreme.
EDIT: I`m now pretty sure someone is playing this live.

As the drum pattern gets more involved, other drum sounds replace those old ones apparently.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

lalo wrote::D seems a real drummer
i guess is mark guiliana...far better than any quantized stuff :-)
You're right he's credited to Blackstar according to Wikipedia. Guess I shouldn't of jumped to conclusions about it being programmed. Having looked at a couple of his YouTube videos there seems to be a similarity.Quite an unusual approach to his playing.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

It doesn't sound off to me but pretty much irritating :hihi:

I thought the drums were the best part.

I concur :lol:

When it comes to Bowie, kind of weird to think he is only a year older than John Foxx, but they are both fast approaching 70
Last edited by Numanoid on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The vocal is questionable,drums are sound

ere2learn wrote:The vocal is questionable,drums are sound
Right... you'd rather hear someone else singing a David Bowie song... Move along! :dog:

The vocal is pretty good, but must be processed with quite a bit of reverb or something.

I got no problem with the drums

In my exp threads like this are dangerous. Poor Bowie.

T-CM11 wrote:
Right... you'd rather hear someone else singing a David Bowie song... Move along! :dog:
Iggy could give it a go :D

Hank the Knife wrote:In my exp threads like this are dangerous. Poor Bowie.
I'm sure his ego can handle anything. 8)

Numanoid wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Iggy could give it a go :D
For some reason I read Ziggy. :hihi:

I love it. Great video, great song. Excited about the album!

-M

T-CM11 wrote:I'm sure his ego can handle anything. 8)
Bowie isn't much of an ego tripper is he?

One thing that makes him a hero to me, is how he rehabiliated Iggy Pop when he was down and out in the mid-70s

Return to “Production Techniques”