What sample rate do you work with?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

41 to 96k makes some kind of audio difference -- especially with (high end) plugins. 41 or 48 is no difference really unless you are a bat.

Nobody is going to care if you can or can't hear the difference between 44.1k and 48k when you are asked to provide a 48k master but don't have one because you only work in 44.1k.

All I need to do is change the rate to any value I want during render and I get an absolutely perfect render which sounds identical. This however is due to the fact that I do not use plug-ins which are poorly coded and incapable of producing accurate output at varied sample rates.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

48k because it reminds me of my Sinclair Spectrum

aciddose wrote:Nobody is going to care if you can or can't hear the difference between 44.1k and 48k when you are asked to provide a 48k master but don't have one because you only work in 44.1k.

All I need to do is change the rate to any value I want during render and I get an absolutely perfect render which sounds identical. This however is due to the fact that I do not use plug-ins which are poorly coded and incapable of producing accurate output at varied sample rates.
That's just a popup menu selection unless you work with a sub-par DAW. No big deal. I can't think of myself of any plug-ins today that have such issues, if so email the company and ask for a fix.

44100 24

I'll sometimes render/audition shit out at 96khz or 192khz to get a little closer to accurate audiorate when modulating certain things which have shitty control rates (90% of all vsts then)
I

Jace-BeOS wrote:I can't hear any difference between 44.1/16-bit and higher resolutions.
Neither can 99.99% of people who know their limits and are honest with themselves.

22.01Khz is well above human hearing response, especially if we are talking about adults who have fired guns or gone to electronic or rock concerts. 96 db is respectable dynamic range for contemporary music.
Jace-BeOS wrote:I also hate compression. Most people can't even tell. They listen to shitty YouTube video songs, 128kbps MP3s (often both through shitty laptop or even tiny mono cell phone speakers), worse via streaming music services, and they still listen to poorly tuned radio reception... and it doesn't bother them. We've gone backwards in audio quality since the Internet came along and only we music making freaks have noticed.
I would be cautious here. Lossy audio codecs have come a very long way. I was blown away when I learned that the In Rainbows MP3s were 160 kbps, and codecs are even better now than they were then. LAME V0 is a force to be reckoned with.
ksandvik wrote:41 or 48 is no difference really unless you are a bat.
Assuming a human hearing range ceiling of 20khz, it gives AA filters almost 3 times the range to work with.

ksandvik wrote:
aciddose wrote:Nobody is going to care if you can or can't hear the difference between 44.1k and 48k when you are asked to provide a 48k master but don't have one because you only work in 44.1k.

That's just a popup menu selection unless you work with a sub-par DAW. No big deal. I can't think of myself of any plug-ins today that have such issues, if so email the company and ask for a fix.
I record a lot of external hardware and also bounce my plugins to audio as I go. I do a lot of sound for video, where a 48k 24 bit file is required. What sucks is when I discover halfway through that my DAW is accidentally set to 44/16. :dog:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I have found that whether or not a synth sounds better at 96kHz is a crapshoot. Sometimes it does, sometimes it most definitely doesn't. For example I was using a plucked string simulator in Reaktor recently and decided to switch the sample rate to 96kHz - it sounded horrible. And I did the same with a Z3TA+2 pad one time - it went from sounding warm to sounding scratchy.

Exactly my experiences. Sometimes you can hear a difference between 44 and 96, but if you step back and flip back and forth between the two files blind, often times I still prefer the 44.

sharke wrote:I have found that whether or not a synth sounds better at 96kHz is a crapshoot. Sometimes it does, sometimes it most definitely doesn't. For example I was using a plucked string simulator in Reaktor recently and decided to switch the sample rate to 96kHz - it sounded horrible. And I did the same with a Z3TA+2 pad one time - it went from sounding warm to sounding scratchy.
Aliasing in synths (more commonly) isn't always a bad thing.

It seems that still a lot of people think that higher SR is only about frequencies above 22kHz :ud:

It all depends oh what level of 'audio maniac' you are and what equipment you have.
Not surprise that bedroom producers with cheap monitors and small bedroom as 'studio' doesn't hear difference.
Absolutely normal thing to not hear details and honest sound in bad environment (of course some people believe that pair of KRK monitors make their room a real professional studio :hihi: )

Next thing is a lot of people born in digital era is familiar with this digital harsh sound of higher frequencies. Personally I feel sick when I hear mainstream pop on cd's where sometimes hihats sound like digital noise

Depending on software which I work, I'm on 96kHz because difference is HUGE :phones:

pixel85 wrote:It seems that still a lot of people think that higher SR is only about frequencies above 22kHz :ud:

It all depends oh what level of 'audio maniac' you are and what equipment you have.
Not surprise that bedroom producers with cheap monitors and small bedroom as 'studio' doesn't hear difference.
Absolutely normal thing to not hear details and honest sound in bad environment (of course some people believe that pair of KRK monitors make their room a real professional studio :hihi: )

Next thing is a lot of people born in digital era is familiar with this digital harsh sound of higher frequencies. Personally I feel sick when I hear mainstream pop on cd's where sometimes hihats sound like digital noise

Depending on software which I work, I'm on 96kHz because difference is HUGE :phones:
Unless there is aliasing, you will not tell the difference between 44.1khz and 96khz. Because the signals below 22.05khz are mathematically identical.

camsr wrote:
sharke wrote:I have found that whether or not a synth sounds better at 96kHz is a crapshoot. Sometimes it does, sometimes it most definitely doesn't. For example I was using a plucked string simulator in Reaktor recently and decided to switch the sample rate to 96kHz - it sounded horrible. And I did the same with a Z3TA+2 pad one time - it went from sounding warm to sounding scratchy.
Yeah, can anybody say SuperSaw, DX7?

camsr wrote:
A bit odd though, to rely on aliasing to get the sound you want.
When converted to mp3 what you heard in daw as PCM is probably gone anyway.

Either way we must remember that a synth might not be tested and support 96k correctly. It's not just to let samples run through the same way.

Remember that it was just two years ago that the last two plugins in Waves Gold bundle supported 96k. Not synths, but still, there is some work to be done.

Return to “Production Techniques”