Bass movement technique

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Something I hear and see in a freq analyzer in many of my favourite track is a bassline (let it be a simple off bass), which is moving in frequency range.
Ill try to explain graphically what I mean, hopefully somebody knows how to achieve that?

Lets assume a 4/4 kick with an off bass in between. Now the kick is static in its frequency range, the off bass starts at some frequency but during the note is playing, it gently moves upwards its frequency (this is a very quick process, so for a single off bass note).
Gives that moving/whoomp ;-)

What would be the best approach to achieve that? Is it just pitch bending over that note or is that something more pitch enevelope or else.

Appreciate any hints, thanks

If each note repeats the same motion, I imagine that would probably be a pitch envelope. If it continues across several notes, an LFO or track automation are more likely. Also, are you sure the fundamental frequency of the note is bending and it isn't just the filter cutoff being modulated?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Legato.if you mean in the range between fundamental and the bass range of harmonics,that's likely to be legato,or it could be volume automation/AM (both) that compliments whatever phrasing is going us.you can also achieve it with with filter modulation e.g envelope following a highpass filter
I

Thanks for the hints,

I attached a small vid of it, too:
(please just rename to .mp4)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Would it not have made more sense to upload the sound than a video of an analyzer?

Hi,

I "see" this in a song, but can hear it not that clearly, especially not at all if you are listenign via Laptop or some non bassy speakers.
Anyway, a good example is "Rush Me Format:B Remix (Formatik 002)"
Its in the lowest freq range like 50-90 Hz, e.g. at 0:40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHHuO_-yHnE

Cheers

That's more than likely just a pitch envelope :)

It's just that there are a lot of ways to change the pitch of a sound, that to me sounds like a pitch envelope, if it that's not how it was done, you can definitely do it with one, sounds more like a pitch modulation on a synth osc than on a sample.

Probably be easier to get that swing by using a tempo synced envelope or a ramp no reason it couldn't be done without though.

In some VST instruments, it's called portamento used in mono mode. On some hardware back in the day it was called glide I think. Anyways there's a portamento time setting which specifies how quickly it glides from one note to the next.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

Return to “Production Techniques”