Happy with my mix, but its clipping output (inaudible) - what next?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's say I'm happy with a mix i made and the only problem is, its clipping WITH the master fader pulled down by 6dB. I want to retain the dynamics of the mix yet solve this clipping problem AND retain the loudness. How do I go about doing this?

Well..what DAW are you using ? In cubase, I can link all my channels on the mixer, and then say, lower them all together by 1 db with a single click...
BTW you shouldn't lower the master fader, it is always better to lower the individual channels .
Another suggestion, low frequencies are usually what makes the master clip, you should hi-pass all the tracks that don't need low frequencies and you will have more headroom in your mix
I am musically schizophrenic

Simply. lower all channels and check (just in case) is there no post-fader dynamics processors like compression (because then you change input gain of signal going to compressor). But I bet you did all of this as pre-fader like we all do

Its reaper and by default all inserts are pre-fader in Reaper.

A big factor is actually the bass (clipping at +4.5dB) but I don't want to lose the thump/place it has in the mix. Like I mentioned the mix sounds fine to me, so I guess I'm asking of a mythical way to keep things in the green.

There is no mythical way to keep things in the green. What they said -- you're starting out too hot. I think you're forgetting that, if you lower the volume on everything, your bass will still have its place in the mix.

Also, you might want to look at the TB Pro Audio AB Level Matching script for Reaper: http://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/ab_lmjsfx.html.
Tom Smith
http://tomsmith.bandcamp.com - http://www.filkertom.com - http://www.thefump.com
Win10/64 - I5 3570K - 16 GB RAM - BIAB 2016 - Reaper 5 - Sound Forge Pro 9

Sounds like you just need to lower the output (lowering master fader is fine in 98% of cases, only older plugins might effect the sound negatively), and have the track mastered.

If you have to ask, then you definitely should be very cautious mastering your own track. Maybe like 1db of limiting or something.

Download SPAN and check to see what the average rms level is l. If you are at -14db or higher you're fine. Even if you're not, people will get over it. If the track is good no one will care.

Yeah man, just pull the master fader down more until it no longer clips, that's what it's there for :)

Ok, I've got the master fader down to where it doesn't clip but the avg RMS is showing -10dB. The commercial tracks I'm referencing are at -5dB RMS. What do I do? :?

Just to cut some sharp spikes off to keep it green,there are "clipper" available,free and paid ones.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Thank you for that guide pdf - though I'd already read it I forgot about it.

Followed the mastering advice and I got a pretty satisfactory result :) I was worried that my track was at -20 dB RMS when my peaks were hitting -6dB in the master. But ozone limiter did the job (just the imager and maximizer set to -10dB). Me happy. :)

:tu:

t3toooo wrote:Just to cut some sharp spikes off to keep it green,there are "clipper" available,free and paid ones.
Yeah I actually ended up using manual volume automation and the L1 ultramaximizer to keep things in the green. I have t-racks clipper which works great but unfortunately transients get muffled (i guess it is called clipper for a reason :) ).

I wonder what people use to preserve transients AND keep the meters in the green? The problem is, the transients are whats causing the clipping but the rest of the note is fairly below red.

Well, a clipper is generally the most effective way to tame transients without dulling them. The hardder clip, the more the transients will be maintained. But I've never used the t-racks plugin.

Here are a couple of mixing tricks that can make a huge difference:

I like to do clipping on the drum buss. I actually like to clip everything but the kick in one group, and then the kick separately. You can also get away with clipping the hell out of drums. Especially if you have some "micro-transients" that are created maybe by a compressor or something. A lot of times, it's the length of the transient that determines how much you can clip it with out audible artifacts. There have been plenty of times when I've clipped off like 10db (!) but the transient was only like 2ms so it's completely in audible.

The fee plugins gclip and s(m)exoscope make a terrific team for doing smart clipping.

Also, nudging elements of the track that hit at the same forwards or backwards can have a huge effect on transients. Mess with this.

Also, keep in mind, if your spectrum (basically arrangement and eq) is not balanced well, you're going to have transient issues. Period. If your lead and your huge snare both hit hard at the same time and same frequencies, there's not going to be any way to fix that with processing that won't kill the sound.

On the master buss, I think a combo of light clipping and limiting can be good. Sometimes I like to use the free TDR nova dynamic eq if there's a freq that's really popping to hard. That is the most amazing free plugin.

The new DMG Limitless plug in has a clipping stage before the limiter, it's absolutely amazing.

Return to “Production Techniques”