Is the frequency of bass and bassdrum in minimal house really that different?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

....or do they use just sidechain to duck?
I have read that they use for the bass above 120 Hz to 200Hz and 50Hz to 100 Hz for the Bassdrum Main Frequency, is this correct or is it really just the sidechaining?

A minimal style with no bass below 120Hz? Seems very unlikely to me, particularly for house.

Ducking, offbeat basslines or simply avoiding having a strong bass hit on the beat are your most likely candidates.

Try taking a track and pitch shifting it up an octave and maybe stretching it to slow it down so you can hear the bass movement more clearly.

Hey op, not sure i'm understanding your question. Are you asking where to cut?

For a laugh, I had a go with the Mateo! remix of Kryptonite (OK, more techno than house but it's the same kind of deal). There seems to be some truth to the idea of cutting below 120Hz on this one.

What's really going on is that the fundamental of the bass and the final landing note of the kick are the same. So the womp of the kick slides into the bass sequence, which is pretty much all on offbeats.

However, the bass does seem to be rolled off a little from around 150Hz down - I guess to take advantage of the 'missing bass' psychoacoustic effect. Because the fundamental from the kick is so strong, you probably don't need to go all out of the offbeat bass hits and risk muddying up the mix. So there may be some truth to the idea that the bass is cut below 120Hz - but I think they mean reducing it with a shelving EQ rather than a high-pass filter.

No 120Hz roll off in Alli Borem - Scotch Your Mind.
Deep kick and deep sub bass.

In some of my tracks the bassdrum is too low and extreme if you use a normal subwoofer system(no professional studio system, where it sounds good).So how can I avoid the deep rumbling (a weak highpass beginning at 40Hz for the bassdrum and bass?

Gamma-UT wrote:However, the bass does seem to be rolled off a little from around 150Hz down - I guess to take advantage of the 'missing bass' psychoacoustic effect.
Hey, could you expand on this? This is new to me, and I'm not sure what you mean.

MOK19 wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:However, the bass does seem to be rolled off a little from around 150Hz down - I guess to take advantage of the 'missing bass' psychoacoustic effect.
Hey, could you expand on this? This is new to me, and I'm not sure what you mean.
From what I could tell (and this was with the help of time-stretching it out to twice the length), in this particular track the bass was rolled off a little so that its peak was a harmonic in the 120Hz-150Hz region and the fundamental, in the sub-bass, was a bit lower. The decay on the kick was reasonably long, so it would make sense to not have the bass coming in so strong as you'd just wind up with one long sub-bass drone.

The 'missing bass' psychoacoustic effect is that the brain will fill in the fundamental if it hears the first harmonic as stronger - it's the principle behind Waves' MaxxBass. This may be part of what's going on here, though I think the mixing decision has more to do with the profile of the kick.

Gamma-UT wrote:
MOK19 wrote:
The 'missing bass' psychoacoustic effect is that the brain will fill in the fundamental the mixing decision has more to do with the profile of the kick.
THX, sounds good!

Return to “Production Techniques”