Kick Bass Sidechain and Balance

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I always struggle to sidechain my kick and bass and I alwyas have a trouble mixing the two.
Here is a sample audio for you guys to listen. Please give me some good mixing tips for the kick and bass.

https://soundcloud.com/iamapoorva/kick- ... -1/s-fmETG

Less. Compression.

Also it sounds like bass has little low-end. From my recent experiences (also link above) they should have similiar low-end energy (below 100 Hz).
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

If your achieving using sidechain compression by using a compressor, I suggest setting the release time a little bit longer, as it sounds like your bassline comes up kinda abruptly. Also, don't compress it as much as you just did.. Try to a more gentle ratio setting.
Another method to achieve the same effect would be to use an LFO or automation to automate the gain of your bass, so you can literally "draw" the sidechain compression. Great tools for this are plugins like 'LFOTool' by Xfer or 'VolumeShaper' by Cableguys.
Turn off your Brain & Turn on your Heart

Return to “Production Techniques”