Mono compatibility - what to consider?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's figurable by listening the top pop tracks. I like the arguments Zexila made. It's not just about mono compatibility but about the song to sound good in stereo in wide range of situations. And that's my reason of interest too.
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Most club sound systems.
Are you saying most clubs sum to mono or, due to speaker placement, many club goers will only be able to hear one of the stereo speakers?
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Most phones.
It's true that the built-in speaker on iPhones is mono but does anyone seriously listen to music on that tiny speaker?

Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

s-l1000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by aciddose on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Frantz wrote:
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Most club sound systems.
Are you saying most clubs sum to mono or, due to speaker placement, many club goers will only be able to hear one of the stereo speakers?
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Most phones.
It's true that the built-in speaker on iPhones is mono but does anyone seriously listen to music on that tiny speaker?

SoundCloud one of my songs sounds terrible on my phone. I need to fix that. Somebody doing a quick preview could pass up your album.

The question is: Does anyone seriously listen to music?

Most people listen to music casually and if they can't hear it, they simply give it up. The assumption that all the people in the world will try your tracks on high-end soundsystem is not realistic and in fact arrogant.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
The question is: Does anyone seriously listen to music?

Most people listen to music casually and if they can't hear it, they simply give it up. The assumption that all the people in the world will try your tracks on high-end soundsystem is not realistic and in fact arrogant.
Agree, personally work with some hip hop artists who listen instrumentals on their cellphones or car stereos when they hang out and than freestyle, also some kids listen to music like that purely, so it's massive importance to have something presentable there, we are going in circles already, but people sharing earbuds, group phone listening is more common than someone being at the party or locked in the cans or in the sweet spot of high end monitoring system, also people do other things when they listen to music, like walking, working, shopping and etc, so for who knows which time, they should have something to listen too.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila, I think this topic was quite helphful. Definatelly for me. Might seems for you that it gets repetitive because you already aknowledged and something might seem too obvious. But for others could be questions left if they not know other details around the problem.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Most people listen to music casually and if they can't hear it, they simply give it up. The assumption that all the people in the world will try your tracks on high-end soundsystem is not realistic and in fact arrogant.
You are putting words in my mouth. I listen to music on my phone in earphones all the time. I was asking if people listen on the phone's built in mono speaker. Apparently people do. So I will trying listening to my next mix in mono.

I recommend to buy one of this portable wireless speakers to check your mixes. You'll be surprised how much of stereo information's will gone when you listen on them. Also worth to mention that it also work like phaser when you simply begin to move the speaker around.
It's very popular way to listen to music these days and it helps to discover how it affect your mix.

With regards to mono-ing low end. Just wondering... instead of using a special plugin (like Nugen Monofilter) to mono off the low end below a certain threshold, how about using a Mid/Side EQ and putting a highpass just on the sides? Anyone do it that way?

I'm thinking that might actually be a cleaner way to achieve the result, since you are not actually SHIFTING frequencies from the sides to the middle (potentially introducing phase problems?), but instead just rolling them off on the sides, retaining the centre's low end as it was.

Thoughts?

Only would work well with a latency compensated linear phase filter; otherwise you'll likely get unintended consequences.

This would likely be implemented correctly as part of a mid/side EQ tool but handling the processing with multiple plug-ins could be problematic.

aciddose wrote:Only would work well with a latency compensated linear phase filter; otherwise you'll likely get unintended consequences.

This would likely be implemented correctly as part of a mid/side EQ tool but handling the processing with multiple plug-ins could be problematic.
Can you describe a situation this may happen? I can't think of one with electronic music. And I make sub bass a separate channel.

MogwaiBoy wrote:With regards to mono-ing low end. Just wondering... instead of using a special plugin (like Nugen Monofilter) to mono off the low end below a certain threshold, how about using a Mid/Side EQ and putting a highpass just on the sides? Anyone do it that way?

I'm thinking that might actually be a cleaner way to achieve the result, since you are not actually SHIFTING frequencies from the sides to the middle (potentially introducing phase problems?), but instead just rolling them off on the sides, retaining the centre's low end as it was.

Thoughts?
I see this in tutorials all the time. I don't know how the Nugen works but the name sounds like it's just do the same job.

However. If it makes the low end of the sides to a mono signal, I guess you just need to listen if it sounds fine or makes a problem. Just compare and find out which situations it fits. It's better to have a different options!

I tried this method using separate plugings and the result is different then from just removing the low end from the sides. I now think it would be cool to have such plugin which does the job itself. Or maybe there is such? From what I see so far, it makes the low end of unisoned bass like more steady. But also makes the lows kinda louder. Which is, obviously should be so. So it means this method also required a low shelf EQ on the mid part to balance the lows.

Return to “Production Techniques”