Super thumpy kickdrum

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,
Theres this song by blawan that has this insanely heavy kickdrum and I am trying to figure out how he did it. It almost sounds like 2 kicks on top of each other. It just has SO much oomf, more so than any other house track I've ever heard

https://youtu.be/1mR6zmSTDNE?t=1m1s
@ 1:00

What do you guys think?

Distorted to shit/filtered 909 recorded with tape,then juxtaposed and layered very,very loosely with random found sounds with attributes similar to the function of a tom,floor toms (that percussion ilk)i doubt it is one shots it's like just an intentionally very poorly played percussion line on whatever he recorded, then it's all arranged in a very scattered way.more obvious example would be "Tuesdays March"and all recorded as a unit back to tape.it doesn't sound like there is much sidechain here if at all,but usually Blawan uses tonnes of it (this era Blawan atleast)

It all works because of the tape.it's a lot more forgiving with colliding bass frequencies than anything ITB
I

Seriously, that's it?
That ain't heavy at all.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

TIMT wrote:Distorted to shit/filtered 909 recorded with tape,then juxtaposed and layered very,very loosely with random found sounds with attributes similar to the function of a tom,floor toms (that percussion ilk)i doubt it is one shots it's like just an intentionally very poorly played percussion line on whatever he recorded, then it's all arranged in a very scattered way.more obvious example would be "Tuesdays March"and all recorded as a unit back to tape.it doesn't sound like there is much sidechain here if at all,but usually Blawan uses tonnes of it (this era Blawan atleast)

It all works because of the tape.it's a lot more forgiving with colliding bass frequencies than anything ITB
Awesome analysis. This is very useful. Thank you
Mushy Mushy wrote:Seriously, that's it?
That ain't heavy at all.
I mean, as far as house goes it's pretty thumpin'. But of course I could list a million hardstyle tracks with much heavier kicks :P

When my cat jumps out of the bed it sounds the same. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Chickenhide, ok true.

I heard heavy and 909 so got quite excited :)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Production Techniques”