Gain staging, and volume level of sounds/ presets

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quick question, I'm trying to organize my sounds and processing so that I can try audition/ try different sounds out that I make. I've noticed some sound designers will make presets very loud (master volume of say Serum or Sylenth, near cranked). Are there richer harmonics if the softsynth is cranked, and you then pull the level down with trim or the channel?

Sometimes I'll combine the writing and production stage, and mix as I go, leaving myself about 10dB headroom. To clarify, I'll typically create my own patches (or tweak existing), but I've noticed presets by others tend to be very loud, which makes me wonder if the presets are catering to users that don't gain stage, or if I'm missing something. Really trying to figure out what levels I should approximately save my sounds at.

Thanks!

*also of note, I'm aware that the levels differ between types of sounds, but I'm speaking in relative terms*

for example, a pad sound is obviously going to be lower than a lead sound volume wise, but there's a different between saving leads around -6db and pads at -12db vs leads at -12db and pads around -24db.

BlakeH wrote:Are there richer harmonics if the softsynth is cranked, and you then pull the level down with trim or the channel?
Yes, this may be the case if the softsynth has some saturation build in.

This is one thing that drives me nuts about plugin presets. They're so damn loud! And usually inconsistent...

Anyway, I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution here. You have to understand the plugin's gain staging. Typically (in my experience) there's a final output stage that is a simple gain / attenuator. So that's the one I look for. The important thing is to make sure that it's saved with the patch, rather than an overall instrument volume level...

Return to “Production Techniques”