What does it mean by "Making your track sound tight" ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just came across this suggestion and I don't exactly get it.
:phones:
This Music :)
https:\\soundcloud.com/samskyemusik

It's marketing/vaguespeak/subjective gobbledygook.

To me, "tight" usually has to do with rhythm and groove. Or else sort of punchy sound (another vague term) where rhythmic parts have sharp attacks, a relatively short sound with no long decay tails.

It normally means you need to spend more money to make it sound better. As in, "Man, this track is tight-fisted."

Joking aside, I think it means all channels are glued nicely together, the various frequency bands play well with each other, there is no boominess in the low end, and the high end has a nice sparkle without ever sounding thin. Plus there is a full mid range that is not overpowered by either the low or high frequencies. Which is short for the track does not sound like s**t.

"Tight" can be related to rhythm, but also can relate to sound/dynamics e.g Maybe your bottom end is too flabby, and you need to tighten that shit up :tu:

Funny how somebody asks about 'Tight' and everybody answers with more vague words hahaha Flabby/Boomy/Sparkle

I suggest if somebody said make it tight, and you do not know what they mean, ask them, because nobody else knows either ;)
Duh

Dry and punchy as opposed to loose which might mean wet and sloppy ;)
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

bungle wrote:Funny how somebody asks about 'Tight' and everybody answers with more vague words hahaha Flabby/Boomy/Sparkle
Tight is very easy to understand when given the context of flabby :shrug:

To me, it sounds like forming one coherent piece where each element sounds good and theye are glued together.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

staccato notes

It's all about dynamics. Short but punchy. A sound is tight if it's as short as possible without loosing power.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Sometimes tight=dope.

Other words for tights include ... hosiery, pantyhose, hose, leggings, leotard, nylons and stockings.

If you had a tight bottom end, that might mean it was narrow (as in mono).
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

To me, tight means all elements in a track working together with no unnecessary parts (flab), like when a live band play really tight. All parts locked into the groove.

Tight sound track, you want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTCq_UawSdA

It's got Cathy Dennis in it.
And Lance Ellington...

In real situations, the term "tight" to me means shifting low-end (bass) energy upwards a little via EQ and a carefully considered high pass filter. Also mono'ing the low end gives a tightening effect in stereo terms.

That's just me though.

Return to “Production Techniques”