Any harm in re-rendering final mix wav to add fade-in/out ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've rendered final mix wavs from Reaper as 16-bit 44KHz files. I now want to do some very minor fixes to fade-out lengths and such, probably in SoundForge, or maybe just as a stereo track in Reaper.

Is there any harm in that? Will re-rendering it degrade the final quality? Would it be better to try to go into the original song file and fix it there instead?

thanks

Apparently, some eminent mix engineers have gone on record as saying re-rendering/copying of music files corrupts them. Others say that that's just nonsense. I go with the latter. However, if you dithered your file, make sure you don't dither it a second time. That would degrade the sound!
Going back to the project would, of course, save your fades for posterity. :D :tu:

Thanks!

Ayorinde wrote:Apparently, some eminent mix engineers have gone on record as saying re-rendering/copying of music files corrupts them. Others say that that's just nonsense. I go with the latter. However, if you dithered your file, make sure you don't dither it a second time. That would degrade the sound!
Going back to the project would, of course, save your fades for posterity. :D :tu:
I agree with Ayorinde. Just make sure you don't dither again, and you should be fine. I do this from time-to-time, too.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I always do my fades in sound forge. Never thought twice about it.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Nothing destructive whatsoever is happening to the wav file as long as you export it again at the same bitrate and quality.

I'm the same.. I export from my DAW and do fades and finalising in RX5. I've taken to exporting a 32-bit floating point from my DAW as my 'gold master' file and then generating the 16-bit one from that (with dither) in RX5. Don't forget to dither very LAST, even AFTER the fades!

i'm not into the exact computer science, but roughly, 32 bit floating point corresponds to about 6 maybe 7 decimal places. one decimal place is 20dB so say a floating point op introduces noise at roughly -120dB. generally i'd say these types of concerns shouldn't detract focus from the creative part of production :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “Production Techniques”