Layering piano VSTs

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anybody have experience/opinions on layering multiple Piano VSTs to achieve a more unique sound (like you would do with guitar tracks).

At the moment I'm attempting to layer Addictive Keys: Studio Grand and Pianissimo, and I'm getting a slight chorus-y effect from the samples being similar. Maybe this is because they both use the Steinway Model D piano? What techniques are there to avoid this?

I've tried three different things so far:

Approach #1
  • Pianissimo panned hard left
  • Studio Grand panned hard right
Approach #2
  • Pianissimo panned 50% left
  • Studio Grand panned 50% right
Approach #3
  • Pianissimo stereo enhanced as wide as possible
  • Studio Grand in middle
Just noticed the Phase Offset on my Stereo Enhancer plugin, so I'll try doing that instead of the panning.

Having said all this, the music does sounds good with Studio Grand by itself - but I'm curious if I can make the sound even better.

Update: Ah, it seems hard panning each VST and phase offseting them by 10-15ms in their panned direction fixes the chorus-y effect. Actually adds a lot of depth to the mix. I'm still interested to hear what other people do though! :)

Update 2: Now I'm thinking it probably sounds better with Studio Grand by itself. The mix sounds a bit cloudier when it's doubled.

If your goal is to create something different that still sounds something like a piano, try something like layering the grand piano with an electric piano.

I do this with strings by layering real violin/cello samples with synthesizer string patches. This produces a sort of other-worldly string/halo effect sonicly.

I've never tried layering two or more pianos but there are many opportunities...
- Slightly detune one of the pianos (or both of them)
- Process both of them a bit by any different FX (filter, reverb, chorus/flanger, distortion etc.)
- Make individual offsets for each note (both of pianos play the same notes but in slightly different time)

I often layer Grand Pianos with Electric Pianos. I just added the Electric 200 from Waves for $9 bucks and can't wait to give it a test run for this same task. Before I had this plugin I would often use the A-200 from NI to do this. (Thomas Skarbye is the genius behind Scarbee. Top Tier in my opinion). They work well. I think the trick is knowing what notes and/or articulations will layer smoothly versus what won't. I often do a good deal of automation on certain parts to really help give the illusion of body when really it is just an additional keyboard.

As you stated about similar to a guitar player's approach, I have started using an Octaver (Octave Down Button on Doubler) to also get a lil more thickness out of my Grand Piano. I do realize I could just play the notes an octave lower but I like the effect. Isn't perfect in the name of quality, but blending it in just right is pretty cool. I couple this approach with MaxxBass and then trim the fat off with Q10 and I have a nice thick lil Piano, that is more of a hybrid than Piano, but no one has ever called me out on the difference.

GREAT THREAD.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

Return to “Production Techniques”