High boost on just the sides?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone pulling this out of their box of tricks when mixing or mastering? How are you doing it? Minimum or linear phase? Shelf or bell? etc

It helps to create a subtle sense of width and spaciousness, bringing out some of the reverb decay too. Doesn't work all the time ofcourse and as always you need to be careful and go easy with any "enhancement" type of techniques.

I was thinking maybe a 'tilt' style EQ in Mid/Side mode might be good for this too, as it'd help clean up some of the lows in the sides at the same time as bring out the detail.

Recordings, or synths? Boost the side highs to give stereo presence without the feeling of panning.

Yeah that's it :) Sort of a stereo enhancement without introducing much in the way of additional phase problems. You could do it on instruments or buses in mixing, sure.

Yeah sometimes. Usually around 6000-10000hz either shelf or bellbump, and 99% of time of course in the mix itself for the parts that need "high sheen"
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

have a look at waves center

I think in general there's something really pleasant about the sound of M/S EQing on the master track.
Thoracius Appotite | Classic, retro, lo-fi synth patch banks for: microKORG, microKORG XL, KORG minilogue, KORG monologue, Arturia MicroFreak

Often times I will use a High Shelf in Hybrid EQ to bring down 9000 Hz down a dB or so on the Mid-Channel. Can't really say how much it actually helps, but it makes me feel better, LOL! I like to keep the Hi-End of focused on the sides. I feel it helps keep the wide.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

I hear you!

Pro-Q 2 in mid/side mode is great for this as it visualises it perfectly and lets you solo out what it's doing. A small highshelf CUT in the mid channel whilst a small highshelf BOOST in the sides... helps to emhpasise the subtle extra width added to air in the sides. I'm talking 1-2db tops here. It's basically a subtle stereo shift enhancement, but when you A/B it, it's magic.

You can do this with bass aswell... a subtle 80 or 100hz boost in the centre whilst an equal cut in the sides. Helps to consolidate the weight of the stereo image to the centre.

:tu:

Remind me to check out your music, DJbrimLo!

I'm quite into M/S EQ for cheesy unison saw patches with a wide stereo field. A low cut in the mids with a little high shelf on the sides polishes them up to a larger-than-life hyperreal sheen.

MogwaiBoy wrote:I was thinking maybe a 'tilt' style EQ in Mid/Side mode might be good for this too, as it'd help clean up some of the lows in the sides at the same time as bring out the detail.
Bought the Venomode Pivot Tilt EQ the other week https://venomode.com/pivot which has M/S options and still seems to be showing the Black Friday discount at £9 (£19 regular) and there's a demo available if you want to trial it first. Not sure how it compared to more expensive EQs but sounded really good to me, added good separation and clarity.

Return to “Production Techniques”