Equalizing Techniques; Scenarios for graphic equalizer and other interesting things about equalizing

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

setting every slider to -12dB is about half a minute, the rest really depends... To sum it up it isn't really more work to do and the final results are much more satisfying
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

Rameses wrote:setting every slider to -12dB is about half a minute, the rest really depends... To sum it up it isn't really more work to do and the final results are much more satisfying
Not very efficient. Why not save a preset with all the sliders down to -12dB? Obviously it is more work to setup many sliders than a shelving/tilting/peak filter for simple spectral balancing :D

Did you already mix your songs with this technique?

Soundplex wrote:
Rameses wrote:setting every slider to -12dB is about half a minute, the rest really depends... To sum it up it isn't really more work to do and the final results are much more satisfying
Not very efficient. Why not save a preset with all the sliders down to -12dB? Obviously it is more work to setup many sliders than a shelving/tilting/peak filter for simple spectral balancing :D

Did you already mix your songs with this technique?
Yeah, a preset does it too but I simply forgot this because of the routine, kind of.

Personally I like to combine the graphic equalizer for sharp definition of the mix and a complementary and gross balancing with a parametric eq. My experience told me that if I want to work with a parametric equalizer in a very specific and pedantic way it's too inconvenient or rather that the other technique has proven itself as more ergonomic and reasonable.

Yeah, I did. not that often because I found out about this technique about 2016 but yeah, the results blew my mind the first time when I heard the results.

Still funny to read this afterwards, with which compulsiveness I would appear to want to bring the reader closer to my assumptions on how to produce music. I hope you find it as funny as I do. :-)

Note to my self: ONLY WHEN USING COMPLETELY NEUTRAL OUTPUT GEAR with good frequency definitions, RETARD! :-D

This technique is almost useless on some JBL bluetooth speakers I would be allowed to use atm...

Make a video to evangelise your techniques! Otherwise just reading about it makes wonder how long it would take to get a mix going using such a method. And also all the phase artefacts from all those bands of EQ on every channel.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Sounds a bit too complicated to do it that way.. It is true that its always better to cut than boost a frequency, but bringing all frequencies down seem a bit radical starting point to me to work with.. :?

Return to “Production Techniques”