Mixing Advice Requested

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Googly Smythe wrote:This method is more visual. The only problem with it for levels (using Cubase, at least) is that if you decide to use a different plugin, or even discard that plugin you've automated, the automation goes with it.
I only use the said utility plugins for level automation, so I never discard them. There's one per every channel by default, and it always stays there.

The visual aspect is one thing, another one is the workflow, i.e. the mixer view shows all the the set levels by definition in one view, so there is absolutely no GUI switching from plugin to plugin, it's all there to set in one go. Feels more intuitive for me that way. The automation is something that lives on its own automation lanes and can be revisited there, lane by lane. I prefer having access to all the channel levels in one place.

Changes of the sound (synth presets mostly) of each instrument will cause changes in volume loudness,harmonic and hz spectrum so it's important to find 'best' sound combination for the composition and to add or take only what is necessary to express or improve the sound of the preset without losing the character :)

The longer the thread goes, the more likely you'll start getting conflicting info - so just dive in and get to it! :)

+1 on the Mike Senior book
https://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-S ... 0240815807

His wisdom about the "unstable fader" (identifying what requires compression) has been valuable for me.

Some say you should have HP/LP on every channel... I disagree. If you can let 4 drum channel high passes go and instead just use a single high pass instance first slot on the drum bus to catch the rumble - I find that preferable.

I recently went back to a mix and changed all the filters to gentle 6db/oct instead of 12, 24, 48 etc and there was a noticable positive difference in the track overall in terms of warmth and naturalness. Something to consider :)

JerGoertz wrote:I've never done any serious mixing in my life, and now I've got to mix my album. :help: So I come to the good people of KVR seeking advice; in particular:
I don't know how it's "really" done, but I can tell how I do it.
JerGoertz wrote:- What's a good rule of thumb for getting the basic "necessities" before you begin tweaking the mix for the particular song? E.g.,
* Highpass (lowshelf) everything except the kick and bass? (At what frequency(ies)?)
* Compress the drum bus?
* Etc.
I tend to highpass everything from at least 100Hz - 150Hz. Depends really about material and how I want it to play but generally stuff that only need to fill the higher register, gets a rude cut from higher than other tracks. And you shouldn't _normally_ cut above the fundamental frequency (ie. if your for example pad plays from 880Hz, don't highpass above that). Of course you can and if it works, go for it.
JerGoertz wrote:- Is it important to EQ/compress each element of a drumkit separately? I suppose this would depend on how they sound initially...
Compression:
Separate elements = sound/punchyness of that element.
Bus compression = glue/pumping/punch.
EQ:
You may want to EQ everything separately since low end takes a lot of headroom and compressor reacts to that.
JerGoertz wrote:- Do you think much about how specific frequencies "sound" (boxy, nasal, etc.) when you mix, or do you just look at how the frequencies of the various instruments compete and carve out spots for each?
I don't think, just do and listen.
JerGoertz wrote:- Is there a good rule of thumb for determining whether a sound is just "bad" or doesn't fit the mix, or whether it can be massaged into place?
One likes salt, another one likes sugar.. But IMO if you can't fit it in the mix, it doesn't belong there.
JerGoertz wrote:- Is looking at a spectragram a good practice, at least when starting out, or will this mislead you?
Guess it's good for comparison or actually seeing something that you can't figure out with listening.
JerGoertz wrote:- Is there a way to train your ear to hear when instruments are competing for frequency space?
Google it. But generally you should hear that. They kinda eat each others space.
JerGoertz wrote:- What's your process for applying EQ in order to "make space" for the instruments?
* Do you usually start with drums and bass, and go from there?
I apply EQ while I build a song. Then adjust when I notice that something else needs that space or some frequency ends up "empty".
JerGoertz wrote:Anything you can give me (tips, tricks, caveats, techniques, magic frequencies, etc.) is sincerely appreciated.
There are few excellent books about mixing.

End line:

All I said is more or less crap. My music is crap that sounds like crap, probably because I suck at mixing etc and I have no skill/imagination to make interesting songs. Mud mud mud mud mud but at least I try. And I never learn within the progress. So maybe my best tip would be "learn while you do your stuff and ditch the crap".

Thanks again, folks, much appreciated!

I will take everyone's advice under consideration, as well as checking out the Mike Senior book. Wish me unbridled success!! :hihi:
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Production Techniques”