Are Rules REALLY Meant To Be Broken?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, but even sticking to the apparent model of a genre can make music cheesy to me. I'm not at all a fan of a lot of the standby norms in dance genres.

If there were more tracks like Trent Reznor's own techno/DnB remix of "The Perfect Drug", I would be interested. It took me a few listens to appreciate it, since it very much feels like the genre he was briefly experimenting with there (and it's very slow to progress), but he added his own aesthetics (sounds, progressing through different clearly defined stages to make it like an actual song) and it grew on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJHcLDN7eUs
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

depends what you want to achieve surely?

but its the wrong question. ask the right question and you shall receive the wisdom you seek.

vurt wrote:But its the wrong question. ask the right question and you shall receive the wisdom you seek.
How many rules must a man break? 42?

sjm wrote:
vurt wrote:But its the wrong question. ask the right question and you shall receive the wisdom you seek.
you cannot break that which is not.

EDM is not rock and rock is not EDM and vice versa. Why is that? The genres are defined by certain boundaries. If you omit guitars from Classic Rock, you're not really making Classic Rock anymore. Maybe a sub-genre of Classic Rock but certainly not what people expect from a typical Classic Rock tune. A Classic Rock radio station probably won't play your tunes because they do not fit the basic format for a Classic Rock tune.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I'm working on a tune that has multiple distorted guitars playing, all of which (and the bass guitar) are sidechained to the kick from a drum synth, creating a strong pumping rhythm similar to EDM. The thick distortion is not that dissimilar to a unison saw.

Guitar EDM? Synth Rock?

I get what you're saying of course, not going to deny the genres have boundaries. Just that they are more fluid than we sometimes think, and questioning our assumptions is a good thing in my book.

And of course there's stuff like this from my wasted youth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzXkiDog0bo

You can break the rules until you become popular. After that, you're writing new rules for other people to break.

cthonophonic wrote:You can break the rules until you become popular. After that, you're writing new rules for other people to break.
this is me re-tweeting that little wisdom
well done
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

#metoo
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:#metoo
LOL!

sjm wrote:
How many rules must a man have to break
Before you call him a man?

I never agreed to this "break all the rules" BS. You can break rules if you want do produce on a style of your own, but if you want to stick to a certain genre (and maybe make a living of this) you don't have that freedom. Simply like that.

Of course, you can use a guitar on a Trance track, or a drum machine on a Rock'n Roll song, but in the end, you'll have to have certain cliches to stay in touch with your desired audience.

Wanna test it? Simple. Make a (insert your chosen genre here) track, break it's genre "rules" and put it in the Music Cafe. Wait for the feedback. "Nah, this is not Tarnce!" "Hey man, weird song, but it isn't exactly Ambient Dead Polka", and so on.

wagtunes wrote:Except some of the top people in the business (supposedly) are saying the same thing. No rules and then go and do the same thing.
Reminds me of that stupid third person bios on Soundcloud and other artist sites. Most of the EDM artists says something like "X stick to no rules" or "Y's music can't be defined on a single style". Yet, you listen to their music and it's exactly the same sounds, structures, drops, cliches... :dog:

dark_virus wrote:I never agreed to this "break all the rules" BS. You can break rules if you want do produce on a style of your own, but if you want to stick to a certain genre (and maybe make a living of this) you don't have that freedom. Simply like that.

Of course, you can use a guitar on a Trance track, or a drum machine on a Rock'n Roll song, but in the end, you'll have to have certain cliches to stay in touch with your desired audience.

Wanna test it? Simple. Make a (insert your chosen genre here) track, break it's genre "rules" and put it in the Music Cafe. Wait for the feedback. "Nah, this is not Tarnce!" "Hey man, weird song, but it isn't exactly Ambient Dead Polka", and so on.
I bet if you promote it as Tarnce, and they have open ears, they think you created a new style....
Those who only listen to a single genre I don't consider being part of my desired audience anyway. And they would never listen to Tarnce and that for wouldn't comment on it...

What is my desired audience? Anybody, really anybody who is willing to listen instead of judging. As an artist you should never fullfill the expectations of your audience, you should open their ears...
Only something new and surprising can do that...

Tj Shredder wrote:
What is my desired audience? Anybody, really anybody who is willing to listen instead of judging. As an artist you should never fullfill the expectations of your audience, you should open their ears...
Only something new and surprising can do that...
My sentiments exactly.

We should get all of the 25 human beings who agree and start a new country on an island somewhere. Everyone else would avoid us like a plague, so we can be at peace.

Return to “Production Techniques”