What's SoHa Sound Up To?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Tucker!

Any news from the Soha front?

8)
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

yeah...omce in a while I bring up Sonata..and what a fine synth!

hey guys,

sorry it took me so long to get back; been on vacation this past week.

we've been working on a bunch of ideas, mostly related to physical modelling. our modelling techniques have been pretty good, but tend to take up *tons* of cpu -- way more than is practical. i have however figured out a few very practical and interesting solutions. there's also something entirely new on the board... a month or so should determine its usefulness. basically, we have a lot of pieces ready to go, need a few more, and can then start to pull them together into one plugin. i'll post here when i have something for you.

btw, tim: been using your crystal preset for sonata in a new track of mine. fits perfectly. will post the mp3 when done.

thanks for checkin' in,

- tucker

Sounds sweet! Can't wait.

Thanks for the update Tucker!

PEace,

Frank

-=ToTc Owns You=-

----So does that mean Sonata will be put to rest, or updated to version 2.0 soon ?

Jeff

i haven't found an acceptable way to *update* sonata significantly (and have been notified of 0 bugs), but i am thinking about a "light" version (sonatina). the cpu hit is by far the biggest detractor i've noticed, and i really can't make it any more efficient without changing the sound. however, by changing the way the insides work (or maybe rebuilding entirely from scratch), preformance can be improved. since this will change the sound, it will be a new version, not an upgrade (but will still ship with sonata, including to current customers). once cpu is down a bit, there might be some room for further options.

so, here's the order in which i plan to work on things right now:
SoHa Fugue (experimental stage)
SoHa Sonatina (reprogramming stage)
physical modelling experiments (experimental stage; need a few more successful pieces in order to make prototype synth)

- tucker

----Yeah, cpu usage is one demon you always have to fight it seems, even these days. You could maybe add features that can be turned off and on though, so they only use cpu cycles when active. Anyways, looking forward to seeing/hearing the new stuff later in the year. :)

Jeff

liars&ashes wrote:----Yeah, cpu usage is one demon you always have to fight it seems, even these days. You could maybe add features that can be turned off and on though, so they only use cpu cycles when active. Anyways, looking forward to seeing/hearing the new stuff later in the year. :)

Jeff
Don't worry about it....in 2 years processors will be running at 5 or 6.0 ghz.....in 5 years it'll be 12...then we'll all be able to run whatever we want. :D

-=ToTc Owns You=-

processors will be running at 5 or 6.0 ghz
Unfortunately, that's probably not entirely true. Theoretically, processors should not get faster than about 4gHz (yes, we're right there - notice a slow-down recently?). Multi-processor systems are taking over now, but they need support that can route a single program (say, a host) through both processors in some intelligent way. So yes, things will get faster, but the so-powerful-we-dont-have-to-worry-about-it processor will probably not exist for a very long time (or ever).

The real solution is for developers to figure out ways to accomplish the tasks they want to with extremely intelligent solutions so we can do the same amount of audio stuff with much less processing. That takes time. Maybe a lot of time. And sometimes there's not a faster way and we have to do something else.

So, we're still working. I just received a large chunk of free time (this is not a normal thing for me), so Fugue is under way. Initial experiments look positive.

- Tucker

----What is "Fugue" going to be, ie - synth or effect ?

Jeff

"Fugue" is an idea for an effect. Like a fugue in composition, Fugue will take a small amount of material, rework it a bunch of different ways and combine it with itself to produce something more complex and interesting than the original bit. I stress that right now it is at a mere 10% stage, but so far is encouraging. I'm currently working on CPU saving strategies for this one.

- Tucker

tuckermc wrote:"Fugue" is an idea for an effect. Like a fugue in composition, Fugue will take a small amount of material, rework it a bunch of different ways and combine it with itself to produce something more complex and interesting than the original bit. I stress that right now it is at a mere 10% stage, but so far is encouraging. I'm currently working on CPU saving strategies for this one.

- Tucker
:hyper:

-=ToTc Owns You=-

----Fugue sounds very cool, I look forward to checking it out when it's done :)

Jeff

----So what's the word on Fugue and Sonata these days ?

Jeff

They're on hold. I'm working some 60-70 hours a week right now and simply don't have the time for serious research and development. I'd love to get back to Fugue, but I don't believe this will happen within the next 6 weeks.

Thanks for staying tuned, guys. I'll post when I can again do some real work.

- Tucker

Return to “SoHa Sound Design”