Loading of VST banks (Bitwig Studio and other hosts)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Bitwig Studio I cannot find a way to load VST banks for a loaded VST device.
Am I just blind or is this really not possible?

If it is not possible/generally:
Wouldn't loading of VST banks be one of many tasks of a VST capable host/DAW?

I ask this because I want to use 2DaT's fabulous Obxd.
But this synth always just loads with a bank of 128 of all the same initial sounds.
For each new project one has to build presets from scratch, even though there are fantastic banks available, which at least could serve as base/inspiration for own sounds.

What other VST capable hosts/DAWS do you know, that do NOT support loading of VST banks for any VST used?

Since Obxd is open source, I'm thinking about building a version of Obxd, where it would at least be possible to load banks from within itself.
If there really are some commonly used hosts/DAWs that do not support loading of VST banks and thus make Obxd really hard to use, I probably will do.
Or are there any other tricks - e.g. via a (free) VST wrapper or something like this - to be able to load banks into VSTs for hosts which cannot do this by themselves?

Quite some questions...
Thanks in advance for your appreciated elaborations!

If you can add a patch selector/browser, you will be very popular,
if not legendary, regardless of any daw's vst hosting foibles.! :hyper: !

Unless I misunderstand the dilemma, this sounds like a problem with OBXD, and not with Bitwig.

I have several vst's that have banks and am not having problems to speak of. Blue, Diva, Zebra, Alchemy, etc. all show me the lot of presets to choose from.

There was a problem with Alchemy in BWS that required letting Alchemy know where is the library on every instantiation. This was resolved by Camel Audio though. Now the issue is the ability to scroll through the presets - still, they show up.

There was a similar situation you speak of, regarding OBXD and 128 presets of 1, in the Music Developments forum. I not sure how much it is related to your issue but perhaps you can pick up some info there.

If I remember correctly it was in the early pages of Bug Reports.

Now, as for changing patches from within a clip - this I do not know about. Haven't tried sending a patch change yet so not sure if BWS can handle that. As we all know, MIDI handling is not BWS' strong suit at this time.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Hmmm, not too many answers so far...

Would another forum here make more sense to ask those questions?

@dsan@mail.com:
Thanks for your answer.
Yes, some/many VSTs have their built in preset/banks management, but from my list of free VST instruments that's not even 50%. They seem to rely on the host. Thus this makes me believe, that this should be a host's job. I'm just wondering how people use such VSTs without support for loading banks/presets in hosts that do not support this neither. Or maybe BWS is just not this far yet to support this feature(s).

i miss not being able to load fxp/fxb in bitwig, i hope they add that feature

There are still plenty of plugins that don't have built in bank loaders. Another reason for me not to be too excited about Bitwig yet, seems still in a very early phase if it doesn't even do this basic thing.

ZonderP wrote:Hmmm, not too many answers so far...

Would another forum here make more sense to ask those questions?

@dsan@mail.com:
Thanks for your answer.
Yes, some/many VSTs have their built in preset/banks management, but from my list of free VST instruments that's not even 50%. They seem to rely on the host. Thus this makes me believe, that this should be a host's job. I'm just wondering how people use such VSTs without support for loading banks/presets in hosts that do not support this neither. Or maybe BWS is just not this far yet to support this feature(s).
The only host I know of that loads vst's but doesn't support loading fxb/p was NI Kore 2 but that was mainly because they wanted everyone to switch to their own ksd format, and it did at least allow for batch conversion of fxb banks to ksd.

Not sure if Cubase has phased out support yet since switching to VST3 (which use vstpreset format) - wouldn't be surprised if at some point they did this.

Incomplete support for presets is a pain, it feels like the plugin host is not fully supporting the plugin standard in doing this - Tracktion loads fxb/p but now supports AU and VST3 format and yet failed to add support for presets - it seems bizarre that anyone would do this given how many plugins do rely on the host still (at one point that was almost universal - I think inconsistent host support and the desire for better preset management are probably what changed that)

@aMUSEd:
Thanks for you answer!
So - if I understand correctly - from the major still available VST supporting hosts/DAWs (Reaper, Ableton Live, Studio One, MuLab, etc.) only Bitwig Studio currently does not (yet) support loading of banks/presets.

glokraw wrote:If you can add a patch selector/browser, you will be very popular,
if not legendary, regardless of any daw's vst hosting foibles.! :hyper: !
@glokraw & all others interested in a Windows VST version of Obxd that can load banks.

You may download 32 and 64 bit versions of it here:
http://1drv.ms/1lKMr0z

Note: With this version it is just only possible to load banks. It is not possible to save banks nor is is possible to load/save single presets or rename them. As far as I can tell only useful when used within Bitwig Studio and Kore 2...

Hint: Move mouse over top knob of left rack...

Hope it works for all of you...

ZonderP wrote:@aMUSEd:
Thanks for you answer!
So - if I understand correctly - from the major still available VST supporting hosts/DAWs (Reaper, Ableton Live, Studio One, MuLab, etc.) only Bitwig Studio currently does not (yet) support loading of banks/presets.
Sounds like it, I'd suggest using a sub host as an intermediary for the few plugins like Obxd that have this problem. On Windows I used Wusik VM a lot to do this, it's a simple free wrapper that adds fxb/p patch management to any vst plugin. On Mac you could use something like Metaplugin but that's not free.

aMUSEd wrote:
ZonderP wrote:@aMUSEd:
Thanks for you answer!
Sounds like it, I'd suggest using a sub host as an intermediary for the few plugins like Obxd that have this problem. On Windows I used Wusik VM a lot to do this, it's a simple free wrapper that adds fxb/p patch management to any vst plugin. On Mac you could use something like Metaplugin but that's not free.
Thanks again aMUSEd! :)
You answered all my questions.
Never heard of Wusik VM before. I will check out how it works.

This seems like an old thread but I was able to load a preset for OB-Xd in MacOS by dragging the .fxp file in Finder onto the instrument track. Maybe not the best UX for this but it works. Hope this helps.

I'm new to Bitwig, using version 1.3.14 and looks like if you add presets to the correct location, for me ~Library/Audio/Presets/Datsounds/OB-Xd/VST/ <<--- drag the VST folder that comes with the plugin into this location and they all appear in Bitwig VST Presets. All good.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”