Time Signatures In Fl Studio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Say I make a beat in fl studio and I want to change it
to 12/8 or 9/8
How do you do this?

FLstudio has the worst multiple time signature support ever.

you can change it initially by going to settings/project/general

or you can just make patterns of varying lengths.

however, if you change time signatures in the song, the playlist will not shift to accomodate the new time sig. Its probably the biggest flaw in FLStudio (for me)
check my profile for contact info.
msn messenger is my email as well.

Thank you for the reply, That is kinda what I thought.
Any programs out there that do this?

you can try REAPER, i only mention because its fairly inexpensive and has a totally unrestricted demo, but probably not as refined midi yet. thing is, it is a work in progress, and FRs are usually answered pretty quick, here:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/index.php?

as far as the download link, its here:

http://reaper.fm/download.php

It would be something i would say is worthy looking into.

HOWEVER...

that being said, for someone that just stopped using FL, there are other programs that might be better for your workflow.

EXT (I would highly recommend this one for its versatility
Live, perhaps (not sure about its time sig support)
perhaps even reason, depending on its time sig implementation.

Also, dont give up on FL yet. Alot of people recognize its flaws with the time signature stuff, its been on the looptalk forums. I hope to GOD that in a future update gol opens up that playlist for some changes. After all, for me, it is the easiest,quickest and most potentially complex host for MIDI/vsti work out there, all at the same time.

JBM couldn't be more wrong.

Using uneven meters in FL is a breeze.
You know the pattern length selector?
Use that, if the default time sig of the project is 4, that's the bottom number of your meter, figure out the necessary length of the pattern from that.

In the song editor, remember to switch the snap to something like 1/6th of a beat. That'll help you line them up when you draw them with the paintbrush. There'll be little spaces since the area you look at is low-resolution. Select the parts in weird times, pan in close with the zoom thingee in the upper right-hand corner, and line them up. Takes a little extra time compared to 4/4 but I do it all the time and it's certainly not the slowest thing in FL's workflow.

Live's odd meter support was just explained to me by my RL friend Japanese Space Program and it sounds super, super easy. He uses Mac, though, so I don't feck with his set-up.

Don't believe me?
Check out my songs here.
www.myspace.com/briarmonsmetrach5

1st one has a middle section in 7 followed by one in 9.
3rd one has 8, 16, 30 and 22.
4th one has parts in 10, 8 and 15.

Or here: http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... 37F7DEDB-2

That one's in a whole huge pile of different uneven meters.

Need more examples of odd time signatures used in FL?
I have plenty, and more complicated ones at that.

runagate wrote:JBM couldn't be more wrong.

Using uneven meters in FL is a breeze.
You know the pattern length selector?
Use that, if the default time sig of the project is 4, that's the bottom number of your meter, figure out the necessary length of the pattern from that.

In the song editor, remember to switch the snap to something like 1/6th of a beat. That'll help you line them up when you draw them with the paintbrush. There'll be little spaces since the area you look at is low-resolution. Select the parts in weird times, pan in close with the zoom thingee in the upper right-hand corner, and line them up. Takes a little extra time compared to 4/4 but I do it all the time and it's certainly not the slowest thing in FL's workflow.

Live's odd meter support was just explained to me by my RL friend Japanese Space Program and it sounds super, super easy. He uses Mac, though, so I don't feck with his set-up.

Don't believe me?
Check out my songs here.
www.myspace.com/briarmonsmetrach5

1st one has a middle section in 7 followed by one in 9.
3rd one has 8, 16, 30 and 22.
4th one has parts in 10, 8 and 15.

Or here: http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... 37F7DEDB-2

That one's in a whole huge pile of different uneven meters.

Need more examples of odd time signatures used in FL?
I have plenty, and more complicated ones at that.
sorry, you DONT understand what i am talking about.

I already mentioned how you can do odd time sigs in FL.

however, using multiple time sigs in one song, and changing, is a MAJOR hassle when it comes to playlist organization.

show me how the playlists shifts to accomodate different time sigged patterns?

and dont mention "make the snap 1/32 of a beat" or something like that cause even making it every beat is a bloody mess of numbers...

FL just needs a different way of doing it, thats all.

http://download.yousendit.com/3BA6FBD549E42AC6
Got some good freebie Doru Malia samples in there.
Look at the playlist, zoom in and you'll see everything works great.

That's not even getting into uneven meters in polyrhythms, which the playlist is a blessing for trying to sort out.

i will try it out rungate.

I am quite jaded with FL because of this, maybe this will change my perception. But its still just a workaround.

runagate wrote:http://download.yousendit.com/3BA6FBD549E42AC6
Got some good freebie Doru Malia samples in there.
Look at the playlist, zoom in and you'll see everything works great.

That's not even getting into uneven meters in polyrhythms, which the playlist is a blessing for trying to sort out.
wow, thats really neat stuff rungate, ahah!!!

however, it still shows that the playlist doesnt match up neatly to the differing time signatures, actually, that flp proves my point more than anything. The measures are totally off!!! Its a horrible workflow for doing anything pattern based. Glad you can deal with it tho!

this shows it quite well...

nothign is lined up to the playlist numbers at all! its a sloppy mess for my purposes... and then you throw in event automation, trying to guess exactly where a measure ends and begins.....

omg... i didnt zoom in... brb

edit:

no, its still the same problem. ITs not lining up to the measure markers.... dissapointing :(

...its not lining up to the measure markers, writing the music for me, or making me coffee... GODDAMN IT! :)

Just kidding, I don't like the way FLS handles signatures either. I pretty much stopped using it a while back for this and other reasons. Respect to those that work around it tho.

Its a little bit of a pain, but I manage to compose songs in multiple sigs all the time in FL studio.

Yes, you have to zoom in to the right level to get the patterns to match (this grid is about 1 beat per square at this zoom)

Yes, it would be great if markers could be set to a specific time sig and affect the PList grid automatically to ease this annoyance.
Jason Brian Merrill wrote:omg... i didnt zoom in... brb

edit:

no, its still the same problem. ITs not lining up to the measure markers.... dissapointing :(

Hey I know, let's all argue over FLS again.
YOU are reading my unique forum signature.
http://brb.notatruck.net

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”