New entry level version of Ableton Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well it's sure getting lot flak but i figure ableton know what their doing and must have considered all these things,if not what are they doing?I posted it without checking the limitations but i know the price of the full version is an issue so this could be another way in for some people and gives you access to a version until you can afford to upgrade :shrug:

I don't know f there are many people out there like me but live is the only software host i can use.

Not why they didn't include rewire though :?
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

This is an excellent post that somebody just made on the Ableton forum. As a matter of interest, it was their first post there...:
mybadluck22 wrote:I've been using the M-Audio Light version of Live. It limits me to four midi tracks, four audio tracks, four scenes, two midi effects, two audio effects, and one plugin. I think it allows one envelope, maybe two. I've done a few songs with it, and it's a pain, but really forces you to think about what you really want. I would much prefer unlimited stuff (playing with the demo is fun) however I can't really put my money into that at the moment. When I saw this, it caught my eye, since it doubles my amount of scenes and doubles my midi instrument count. So it isn't useless, as some have said, but, coming from using the full version, I can see how you might think so.
I think that sums up some of the points very nicely, and explains this from a different angle.

deaneager wrote:At that price it makes a great DJ app.
at that price tag I would much prefer Deckadance

and if you are more into composing then FL Studio or Project5

AKJ wrote:
deaneager wrote:At that price it makes a great DJ app.
at that price tag I would much prefer Deckadance

and if you are more into composing then FL Studio or Project5
If Deckadance could play more than 3 tracks at once then I'd be interested, as it is I find it less appealing than a pair of CDJs. Live at least allows you to do far more than conventional DJ hardware or the software that emulates it (albeit with a for knobs on). Live shifts the paradigm somewhat.

headquest wrote:This is an excellent post that somebody just made on the Ableton forum. As a matter of interest, it was their first post there...:
mybadluck22 wrote:I've been using the M-Audio Light version of Live. It limits me to four midi tracks, four audio tracks, four scenes, two midi effects, two audio effects, and one plugin. I think it allows one envelope, maybe two. I've done a few songs with it, and it's a pain, but really forces you to think about what you really want. I would much prefer unlimited stuff (playing with the demo is fun) however I can't really put my money into that at the moment. When I saw this, it caught my eye, since it doubles my amount of scenes and doubles my midi instrument count. So it isn't useless, as some have said, but, coming from using the full version, I can see how you might think so.
I think that sums up some of the points very nicely, and explains this from a different angle.
so he gets double of almost nothing for the great sum of $150
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

since Deackadance is both a vst host and a vst what would stop you to do anything you want?

spaceman wrote:so he gets double of almost nothing for the great sum of $150
No, he gets 32 times as many tracks, plus a pile of other features that are missing in the Lite version. And he seems to think its worth it, which is ultimately what matters. Neither you nor I are about to buy it - it's aimed at him :wink:

Either way of course he gets a cheap upgrade path to the full version if he wants it and when he can afford it.

As for the price, it's similar to Steinberg Sequel (which is completely closed) or Acid Music Studio (16-bit recording only). It's just another noobie product like them, and I think it holds up well by comparisson. I'm not saying it's the only - or even the best - beginner choice. But I do think it is generally a good move for Ableton, and given that I personally really like Live's way of working it is obviously something I would recommend to students/friends on a budget. :shrug:

AKJ wrote:since Deackadance is both a vst host and a vst what would stop you to do anything you want?
Spending extra for something else in addition to Decadance?

AKJ wrote:since Deackadance is both a vst host and a vst what would stop you to do anything you want?
Simple, I haven't DJ'd with just 2 decks for years, even if it means me taking my own kit to a gig. If I'm going to use software to DJ with then I want it to allow me to do more than I can with hardware.
OK, maybe there's a way that I could have 2 instances of Deckadance running as a VST under a seperate host, but that is a clunky solution that I wouldn't want to have to deal with in a live situation.

bullshark wrote:I'd pay 40 or even 50 dollars for something like that, but 200 dollars? Has to be a joke. You can get a full featured host for less than that.
Agreed.

OK, as a sequencer there are better apps out there than Live LE for the money (I use FL7 as a sequencer rather than Live anyway), but as a performance tool it doesn't have any serious competitors.
Put it like this: Live Lite is too limited to be used as a DJ Performance tool (I won't call it a DJ'ing application because it's far more advanced than other software that are designed to emulate DJ hardware), so even if it is free, if it doesn't do what you want it to then it's not good value at any price.
I paid £300 for Live 5 ($600) and as a DJ performance app it does everything I could possibly imagine (at the moment); Live LE would let me do 95% of what I do with the full version, for just £100 ($200), I call that good value and I know of many other people who've been put off the price of the full version and found the Lite version too limited who would very probably be tempted by the price and performance of LE.
As for the point about 10 scenes, well 20 scenes is too few in a 2 hour set (let alone longer), it's so easy and obvious to work around that it's not something that I've honestly even considered to be a problem.
Incidentally, should I want to use a chain of VST effects on a channel then I'd just use a VST chainer, which will only appear as a single VST to Live.

LOL besides track limitation live lite does more and has all the freeze and rewire functions etc.....the one that came bundled with my audiophile 192....i thought to upgrade to live le but i think it would be a downgrade other than more tracks.

ttoz wrote:LOL besides track limitation live lite does more and has all the freeze and rewire functions etc.....the one that came bundled with my audiophile 192....i thought to upgrade to live le but i think it would be a downgrade other than more tracks.
This makes no sense to me.Why would someone buy that when they can buy an interface or controller with live lite and upgrade from there anyway :?

So what else does the lite version have that le doesnt?
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Higher track count and you can use far more effects.

There are various different (manufacturer specific) versions of Live Lite, and they are not all equal :wink:

Generally though they only offer 2 Audio and 2 MIDI tracks, which is obviously very limiting. They usually do offer Rewire slave capacity, because they are designed to be compliment the Rewire host software that is being promoted. So for example, the M-Audio and Digidesign versions include Rewire so that it can be used in conjunction with Pro Tools M-Powered/LE.

Live LE has clearly been devised for a different market - i.e. the user who wants to get a flavour for Live without making a big up-front investment (either the hardware options that include Live Lite, or the full Live 6 product).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”