Magix drop Samplitude dongle...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I stick with my initial comment. For this price, the linitation to 8 VSTis will make this an absolutely pointless thing for almost anybody (and no, being able to more or less quickly bounce things is no valid alternative at all). I can't see an even remotely valuable fraction of the "considering to buy a sequencer" folks to jump on this deal. There's just too many alternatives offering a way better VFM factor.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Anyone trying the demo yet - how does this limitation kick in? Does it just refuse to load more than 8 VST's, give you a warning message or keep on loading but not process them?

Well, I fiddled with the demo ... and Magix must be kidding! I see absolutely nothing that even remotely justifies the insane price they dare to ask for this. It doesn't even have decent groove quantizing! As the program stands now it's worth perhaps $100 or thereabouts - and even then only if there were no limitations on the amount of VST fx and instruments you can use.

Sascha Franck wrote:...but this version seems to serve close to no purpose others than fixing folks on, so they would get the dongled version in the end. Which renders the "donglefree" point worthless.
Not at all. The opposite is the case, if the DLV attracts customers.

And from your recent posts, i can clearly hear, that you are very attracted by Samplitude and therefore you rant about it, because it doesn't fit your needs. :-)

Barbarossa wrote: And from your recent posts, i can clearly hear, that you are very attracted by Samplitude and therefore you rant about it, because it doesn't fit your needs. :-)
Well, I have indeed been attracted by Samplitude in the past, but the high price sort of put me of - even if it hasn't been the main reason, but most likely I hadn't switched to it as my main host, and for just another host (I own a few already) it would've been too expensive.
Now, with this downloadable, donglefree version, things may have changed, especially since the price is reduced, but with those limitations it's really a no-go. Seriously, these days, even in songs that may end up using only 2-3 VSTis, I always have at least 10-15 of them running, for alternative takes, quick availability of different sounds and what not. Quite a comfortable way to work and I seriously can't imagine to ever change that workflow again in my life. And well, it's not that this would exactly be anything esoteric or so. Lots of people I know work this way.
And as has been said, the price is still quite high for something to come along with such limitations, so beginners, students, universities and what not might not be interested in it either.

Anyways, as I'm mainly using a Mac these days anyways (even if I run Windows on it as well), things aren't exactly all that dramatic for me. Whenever I really want to get rid of Apple's tactics (which piss me off majorly, let alone Logic's recent development), I may reconsider Samplitude.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

I recently got a new laptop that I wanted a DAW for without a dongle. So that lets out Cubase. I've got FL Studio running on it, but I prefer the Cubase track-style interface. My current solution is that I've installed the Samplitude 10 SE that was on last fall's CM coverdisc. I'm still learning my way around it, but so far it seems fairly intuitive. There's also a couple of nice CM tutorials on it. And it's free.

So, until Cubase comes out with a dongleless (dongless?) version (which they should considering that C 4.1 is only slightly more expensive than FL XXL) it looks like Samp 10 is a go for me.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Xenakios wrote:
headquest wrote:
So far as I can interpret this, the message is that Samplitude is exclusively an elitist programme for top-notch people, not common plebs like me.
So what's Sequoia, then? :lol:
It's their Pro Tools, Paris head-on competitor.

NOT elitist unless you don't care about the 'pro' features used in film, video post, etc.

Greg

original flipper wrote:HI

It's unfortunate that as one company drops using a dongle another takes it up: LinPlug.

Flipper.
I agree.

MotorMind wrote:Well, I fiddled with the demo ... and Magix must be kidding! I see absolutely nothing that even remotely justifies the insane price they dare to ask for this. It doesn't even have decent groove quantizing! As the program stands now it's worth perhaps $100 or thereabouts - and even then only if there were no limitations on the amount of VST fx and instruments you can use.
key word being 'fiddled'. :hihi:
Try pushing the program hard to see what it can do.

Greg
Don't ask me, I just play here.

siriusbliss wrote:
MotorMind wrote:Well, I fiddled with the demo ... and Magix must be kidding! I see absolutely nothing that even remotely justifies the insane price they dare to ask for this. It doesn't even have decent groove quantizing! As the program stands now it's worth perhaps $100 or thereabouts - and even then only if there were no limitations on the amount of VST fx and instruments you can use.

Greg
So hang on, are you saying that it does do decent groove extraction/quantising?

Why is the 8 VSTi limit not listed in their "Limitations of the download version:" on their website?
Core i9-7940X | Asus Prime X299-A | 64GB DDR4-3200 | Samsung 950 Pro 2TB Sys, 860 Evo 4TB Data | Steinberg UR824 & CC121 | Virus TI Desktop | Roli Seabord Rise 2 | Nektar Panorama P6 | Nektar Aura | Roland VG-99 | Win10 Pro x64 | Cubase Pro 12

edit, nevermind.......

headquest wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:

Greg
So hang on, are you saying that it does do decent groove extraction/quantising?
It does in Pro, and I doubt they would cripple it.

MIDI groove quantize, and straight Audio quantize with objects that can be adjusted to groove.
Try it with small objects of maybe 4-8 bars and see what it does.
Also check out Remix Agent.

Now, it may not be exactly what you're used to, but it's come a long way, is fast, and flexible.

Greg

siriusbliss wrote:

Greg
With "fiddled" I mean "used it for several hours, recording audio & midi".
It's okay. I would even buy it for $100, if it didn't have any limitations. It's just nothing special.

If anyone can tell me where I can find groove quantizing or even extraction in this version, that would be a big help. As far as I can see it isn't there.

MotorMind wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:

Greg
With "fiddled" I mean "used it for several hours, recording audio & midi".
It's okay. I would even buy it for $100, if it didn't have any limitations. It's just nothing special.

If anyone can tell me where I can find groove quantizing or even extraction in this version, that would be a big help. As far as I can see it isn't there.
Audio Quantization under Tempo>Audio Quantization Wizard
MIDI Quantization under MIDI>MIDI Quantize Settings - or double click on your MIDI track object to enter the MIDI editor and check at the menus at the top for quantization settings.

If it's not in there, then they've turned it off.

DLV is apparently not exactly the same as the so-called 'Classic' version.

Greg

p.s. and what WOULD be 'special'?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”