Just noticed this "new" free sequencer : Macaw

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Never saw Rewire support in an open source app, not even free as in beer ones.
What gives? Is there something in the Rewire license that doesn't allow this?
I'm no lawyer, in fact I have trouble understanding the language of such agreements even in my native language.

Shamanix wrote:Never saw Rewire support in an open source app, not even free as in beer ones.
What gives? Is there something in the Rewire license that doesn't allow this?
I'm no lawyer, in fact I have trouble understanding the language of such agreements even in my native language.
I would say it's something to do with ReWire only being licensed to be used with Propriety Software. Means you're not allowed to include it in anythign Open Source. Could be included in free software if your source was closed and you had a licence agreement that stated no changes were allowed to be changed or source code used etc etc...

If that is the case, I'll have to beg Oskari of Jeskola Buzz fame every day to include Rewire support in Buzz. Imagine Buzz, Reaper, Reason, etc running at the same time :hyper:
The only thing better then that would be complete world domination :hihi:

question for anyone using this host,

how do you change the length of midi clips?

for some reason i wasn't able to move any of the clips (either to other sequences or along the timeline) until i had added several of them.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

You can chage the length by editing clip properties (right-click) and set duration in ms (default is -1, dunno why) .

I can move the clips easily on my PC, even if there's only one.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

that won't do :) i can drag clips around for hours when i'm arranging. it looks like the functionality was designed more around importing clips, or by someone who can play exactly what they want the sequence to be.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Is there some magic as to what external VSTs will work with it? Just tried dropping a couple into the 'Synth' page: most worked, but MinimogueVA did nothing. If you click on it to make it the 'active' VST, it doesn't get the little green square in the corner like the others do.

As near as I can tell, the MIDI events just aren't getting to it, but other similar ones work fine. And it has no problems with other hosts.

Leaving aside it's potential for being a total time-sink :shock:, this package looks good. No issues installing, just a few oddities about where it looks for and stores presets.

An update: there appears to be some kind of odd effect, where MIDI events from the (MIDI) keyboard aren't passed through to the VSTs unless the main Macaw window has the (PC) keyboard focus. So if (e.g.) you bring up the VST's GUI to tweak something, you can't hear it until you put the focus back to Macaw. Doesn't do this for the "built-in" stuff like Universal, though.

Very odd.

I see a mention on the Macaw page of loading and editing soundfonts.Anyone tried any soundfont work in it yet?Would it be worth downloading for that?
TONEDEAD Love Sharts

someone on the renoise forum,said there is a new version of this available that should have sorted out some of the glitches

deraudrl wrote:An update: there appears to be some kind of odd effect, where MIDI events from the (MIDI) keyboard aren't passed through to the VSTs unless the main Macaw window has the (PC) keyboard focus. So if (e.g.) you bring up the VST's GUI to tweak something, you can't hear it until you put the focus back to Macaw. Doesn't do this for the "built-in" stuff like Universal, though.

Very odd.
Just playing with the new version that was released yesterday. This problem with the VST focus is resolved, as well as most other problems it seems. The universal seems to work good in fruity loops now as well.

just downloaded this will test it tonight.

love the dark theme included in options :love:

I haven't installed it yet but I have read the changelog and it seems all the bugs reported in this thread have been fixed.

Seems like Robin Holmes is following the thread so I am taking the opportunity to say one big thank you to him.

yeah this is a great update

anyone know if theres a way to timestretch audio??

one thing i would love to see,is some shortcuts so it would be faster to add tracks,import audio etc.

some of the things could be done quicker with shortcuts imho :D

one other thing

i cant seem to get any sound when i try to use asio4all driver??
Last edited by S-N-S on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”