cubase 5 reverence cpu spikes

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought they had fixed this in 5.01? Both w7 and xp will spike after choosing an impulse or starting up. Am I the only one here

Edit, this was a known problem. Haven't a clue if it's a deal these days or not.
Last edited by hibidy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

edit

thread changed.

Too bad about this as reverence does seem to have a nice sound to it :sad:

Are you seeing cpu spikes on playback? I assume during lower latency operation?

I can load quite a few of them in Vista 32 without issue but I do run at higher latencies so, that could be part of it. It eats a lot of memory also.

What's your system specs?

Just simply loading causes this.

I've had a rough time with computers/installing, etc, I wonder if a screwed something up

There is a fix around here for people with this issue. susiwong knows it, so will maybe chime in. I forget what had to be done.

Brent
My host is better than your host

If you mean a spike/glitch when loading a plug during realtime playback, that's a result of the crack wars between Steinberg and H20 and subsequent dongle calls.

http://fukamachi.org/wp/2006/12/24/h20-vs-steinberg/

I use REVerence in the studio on a single core AMD 3500+ (again, I work/mix with high latencies by habit on the laptop and studio desktop) and it performs pretty well.

koolkeys wrote:There is a fix around here for people with this issue. susiwong knows it, so will maybe chime in. I forget what had to be done.

Brent
I'll look forward to it.

I'n the meantime.......

*paging susiwong......susiwong, you have a page........*

:hihi:

Sorry for being late to the party, been held hostage by a few nice guitars and GinTonics. :party: :oops:
There's a great little tool by Phil Pendlebury, working around Steinberg's messed up multiprocessor support.
http://www.studionu.com/uadforums/viewt ... 11&t=11637
Your chances are good, try it but for heaven's sake really read the read me included (God only knows why it's called that way :wink: ).
And just put a shortcut to the tool in your quickstart and run it every time you :
-- start Cubase
-- load a new song
-- change sample rate
-- see the ASIO meter run amok.
For me and many others it works fine, I had been doing this the manual way long before the tool came out and it does the trick every time here.
Hope you're lucky, too,
Good night,
susiwong

LawrenceF wrote:If you mean a spike/glitch when loading a plug during realtime playback, that's a result of the crack wars between Steinberg and H20 and subsequent dongle calls.I use REVerence in the studio on a single core AMD 3500+ (again, I work/mix with high latencies by habit on the laptop and studio desktop) and it performs pretty well.
Lawrence, I don't believe it's the dongle calls this time.
Imho Steinberg f*cked *p something about multiprocessor support, the issues mostly show on quads, maybe on duals too (not sure) and are related to the equally f*cked *p realtime export.
With your single core you're SOL unfortunately, buy a quad and join the party. :shock: :wink:

Hibidy, whenever you feel like doing a realtime export, think again and do it non-realtime instead. It'll work.
To quote John Cleese :
Don't.
Just ............
Don't.
Cheers,
susiwong

Basically the workaround means unchecking Cubase's affinity for CPU 0 in task manager and then rechecking it again.
Phil's ingenious little tool simply automates this process.
I'm no programmer, but to me it looks like something's very wrong with thread management.
Exclusively for C5 ! :cry:
Last edited by susiwong on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

info to digest! cool

Yeah, I think it's a knows fact that steiny's MPS is dorky

Good luck !
And to be fair, those two issues don't really bother me too much, both workarounds work great here, so what.
Maybe it's not too bad Steinberg have to revisit multiprocessor support, who knows, they might even improve VST 2 performance by accident. :shrug:
Ymmv,
susiwong

susiwong wrote:Lawrence, I don't believe it's the dongle calls this time.
Imho Steinberg f*cked *p something about multiprocessor support, the issues mostly show on quads, maybe on duals too (not sure) and are related to the equally f*cked *p realtime export.
With your single core you're SOL unfortunately, buy a quad and join the party. :shock: :wink:
Agreed.

Eventually I'll update the studio box. My studio is a hybrid digital console / daw so I don't need a ton of daw computer horsepower, just ASIO DM and fast drives for pushing tracks. I haven't seen the spiking issue on my core 2 laptop so maybe I'm escaping the problem somehow.

This is an AMD x2 on Vista 32. If it's a quad thing I wouldn't have experienced it.

But yeah, for the kinds of sessions I do the single core AMD is fine at full buffers. I occasionally have to freeze tracks but it gets the job done.

Thanks wong...

LawrenceF wrote: I haven't seen the spiking issue on my core 2 laptop so maybe I'm escaping the problem somehow.
Is it related to certain OS's or chips? This is an AMD x2 on Vista 32.
Not sure if Duals are affected at all, I've personally only seen the issues on Quads and in Vista 32, Vista 64 and my own XP64.
Not sure if XP32 is affected.
There is some evidence UAD-2 drivers could make the problem worse (not cause it), just like some other plugins or plugin combinations, but no hard facts yet.
At least UA's James Cigler informed us they were working with Steinberg to get to the bottom of this crap.
UA soft 5.4 will probably be out soon, those guys have a fine track record for fixes (successful, not necessarily quick), maybe that collab will help Steinberg stay on track.
Cheers,
susiwong

susiwong wrote:I don't believe it's the dongle calls this time.

Hibidy, whenever you feel like doing a realtime export, think again and do it non-realtime instead. It'll work.
To quote John Cleese :
Don't.
Just ............
Don't.
Cheers,
susiwong

Basically the workaround means unchecking Cubase's affinity for CPU 0 in task manager and then rechecking it again.
Phil's ingenious little tool simply automates this process.
I'm no programmer, but to me it looks like something's very wrong with thread management.
Exclusively for C5 ! :cry:
Hey Susiwong! Finally someone is talking about the f**k up on the realtime export on quad cores machine...I've been writing on Cubase forum about it as soon as I received and test my C5 copy...and it took quite a while before someone react....

I really hope they correct this huge mistake on multicore machine...I'm still affraid of using C5 in my every day work...I don't want to f**k up my clients... :hihi: :hihi: .....ummmm...Common Steinberg....wake-up call here!

I was happy when they correct another problem on Halion with the new release of Halion 3.5, which seems to work perfectly ....so far....

I already have a multicore apps for the other UAD-Steinberg problem...It looks like the one you are reffering to is different... 8) I will certainly check on this...thanx for the link!
XP64 os on C5(32bit and 64bit)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”