cubase 5 reverence cpu spikes

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't think it's Koolaid. I think there are just issues that don't happen to affect everyone. To be honest, I haven't had a single crash or noticeable issue since I got Cubase. People see threads like this one and assume that a program is buggy, when in fact there can be so many awesome thing about a program that far outweigh the bugs that some people experience.

I get good performance, good stability, and I love the workflow. The creative tools on hand in Cubase just rock, IMO.

So regardless of whether some issues remain, I think the good far outweighs the bad, and choosing Cubase wouldn't be drinking any sugary colored drink. It would be choosing a solid host that many many many people have great success with every day.

Brent
My host is better than your host

That is a pretty accurate summation. I like what you said about the creative tools. The included plug/inst with cubase are nothing short of UNDER rated. LOVE the synths!

I am puzzled by the "different people/setup" performance. When you are like me who is on a very "standard" computer with very standard settings, why the issue? Are you telling me that not one tester had an exact or similar setup and didn't get those results? Especially with the update that states "much improved".......anyways, it's really all good, I'll get around to testing that workaround tomorrow.

hibidy wrote:life was actually better way before all these gadgets. Sure, there were toasters and dishwashers, even microwaves. But the REAL evil started with "vhs/beta" hifi and camcorders......oh sure.......now we have to have "gadgets". Then came the cd player.......ruined music for eternity :shrug:

Then computers........the the INTERNET :x :tantrum:

Oh, I guess that is how I'm communicating :oops:
true but the gadgets are so aresome! iphone 3GS :love:

:P

grymmjack wrote: true but the gadgets are so aresome! iphone 3GS :love:
Ah, classic typo. I assume you meant "arsesome". :P

hmm, yesterday I got a msg about cpu spiking while doing a real-time render of a 4 bar loop using a Mopho. Thought that was rather odd, because the only other instruments loaded were Loopmash and Groovemachine.
I thought realtime export was pretty cool, but was bummed when I started pricing the cost of new audio cards with multi in/outs. So, I'll just go back to the old fashioned way of recording the audio of my hardware synths.

The KoolAid is tasting pretty good over this way also. I will consult with Susiwong when I decide to go quad though.

Good stuff.

Let me ask, about the UAD-1's and similar. I can only assume that they cannot speed up and allow faster than realtime render? Is that the case? If using a UAD plug do you always have to do realtime renders?

Thanks.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koolkeys wrote:I don't think it's Koolaid. I think there are just issues that don't happen to affect everyone. To be honest, I haven't had a single crash or noticeable issue since I got Cubase. People see threads like this one and assume that a program is buggy, when in fact there can be so many awesome thing about a program that far outweigh the bugs that some people experience.

I get good performance, good stability, and I love the workflow. The creative tools on hand in Cubase just rock, IMO.

So regardless of whether some issues remain, I think the good far outweighs the bad, and choosing Cubase wouldn't be drinking any sugary colored drink. It would be choosing a solid host that many many many people have great success with every day.

Brent
someone told me this about tracktion and i believed it :) dont even have that installed anymore..

i'm not saying it's confirmed bad, nor that i wont ever bother, but i have been watching with keen interest at the v5 release and monitoring threads on kvr to see what people think and it seems like there are several issues with it.

what are the VST2 problems? that's super important to me, i own only VST1/2 plugs, no v3 that i'm even aware of... CPU spikes/glitches aren't cool, and processor affinity work arounds aren't cool either. i'm on a quad here, and it sounds like i'd be really pissed off about this issue.

i wish steinborg would just fix bugs and stop adding things, i had this wish about T3 but what do i know. for what they charge for this stuff, it's pretty shitty situation imo. cubase 5 for me is upgrade from SX and costs like $400 or some ridiculous amount.

honestly i dont need a bunch of step sequencers and junk, just give me a stable reliable host without audio glitches that supports modern hardware.

fandango wrote:
grymmjack wrote: true but the gadgets are so aresome! iphone 3GS :love:
Ah, classic typo. I assume you meant "arsesome". :P
exactly :0

bduffy wrote:
grymmjack wrote:so glad i didnt drink the koolaid
Which? The Kubase Koolaid? :P

I should be clear: I pretty much have to take peoples' word for it that Cubase 5 doesn't take full advantage of multi-core processors. It's disappointing to hear, but then again, I just wrote a track with 12 instances of Zebra with Kontakt and EZDrummer....seems OK to me!

While I know there's a difference in Mac- vs PC-Cubase, I'm pretty thrilled with Cubase 4/5's performance. Got more than enough juice for what I need. And the thought of what I'd have to give up if I ever jumped ship....*shudder*...very happy with KoolAid, er, I mean Cubase 5! 8)
yes, the v5 koolaid :)

it's not so bad that it doesn't take full advantage of a quad, what sounds bad is that basic functionality needs work arounds (like realtime export) -- no matter if it's 1 step or not with a side tool, it's annoying. maybe i dont understand the problem but from what i am hearing if you have more than one core and you want to realtime export something you have to change the processor affinity for your other cores?

i am not trying to pee on your guys' wheaties (and girl? in susiwongs case?) just saying i've been very close to upgrading recently and learning that everything isn't /all/ peachy with v5 at least makes me feel a little bit better about my decision to refrain from drinking the koolaid.

glad to hear your setup is rocking.

It must be a quad thing. Realtime export is fine on my core 2 here.

I'm not sure I fully understand when this bug rears it's head but I guess I'll find out when (if) I get a new quad.

LawrenceF wrote:It must be a quad thing. Realtime export is fine on my core 2 here.
no, I'm on a dual core.

bluedad wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:It must be a quad thing. Realtime export is fine on my core 2 here.
no, I'm on a dual core.
Odd. I haven't seen the issue at all (AMD x2) and some other 2 core users are praising the performance in C5 like this guy... http://www.gearslutz.com/board/4294840-post224.html

It must be something else that triggers it. I hope they get around to fixing it whatever the cause is. Is it (the bug) mostly showing up on realtime renders with external hardware like UAD or external FX?

Whatever it is, it sucks.

grymmjack wrote:...maybe i dont understand the problem but from what i am hearing if you have more than one core and you want to realtime export something you have to change the processor affinity for your other cores?
No in fact changing the cores affinity just settle the problem of spikes with some apllications such as the UAD-1 and 2 cards.

The other problem, the one with realtime export is not solve...as far as I know...the only way is to take the risk to not mix in realtime by unticking the realtime feature when you mixdown...Which in theory is a little shaky....why do you add this feature if you can't even use it on a Quad machine?

Don't get me wrong, I do love Cubase since SX3...and I really don't plan on changing, but for now I am using C4.52 because of that flaky realtime export situation...But as Susiwong said...it seems to work the other way around when mixing without clicking on the realtime export...I've did one job like this and it works...but in theory you are not supposed to do this when you have UAD cards in the chain...

I'm looking forward to some essential upgrade from Cubase though for C5...
Last edited by ozmoz2008 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XP64 os on C5(32bit and 64bit)

Just a quick reply inbetween sessions:
-- non-realtime export works fine here with UAD-1, UAD-2, Duende PCIe, ymmv.
-- don't know if using DSP cards has to do with the bug, they are all over every one of my projects
-- the (very common) export bug shows as follows :
you select realtime export, even on a simple small project, click start and at any given time you might or might not get an error message cancelling the export. The next time you try the same export it might work, or not. No pattern to recognize and definitely a C5 exclusive, not due to hardware / Windows issues, C4.52 on the same machine exports 100% reliable with much heavier projects.
-- I don't mind too much since non-realtime export works ok, but it should be fixed nevertheless.
-- still, I see C5 as the best host available at any price atm (subjectively), those issues mentioned here don't hinder my workflow in the least and I enjoy being able to achieve results with confidence, ymmv.
Cheers,
susiwong

susiwong wrote:Just a quick reply inbetween sessions:
-- non-realtime export works fine here with UAD-1, UAD-2, Duende PCIe, ymmv.
Cheers,
susiwong
Did you mixdown some long projects(over 10minute for exemple)?

What new feature in C5 make you take the risk of not mixing in realtime like in Cubase 4.52?

Thanx for all input Susiwong!
XP64 os on C5(32bit and 64bit)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”