cubase 5 reverence cpu spikes

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

grymmjack wrote:
bduffy wrote:
grymmjack wrote:so glad i didnt drink the koolaid
Which? The Kubase Koolaid? :P

I should be clear: I pretty much have to take peoples' word for it that Cubase 5 doesn't take full advantage of multi-core processors. It's disappointing to hear, but then again, I just wrote a track with 12 instances of Zebra with Kontakt and EZDrummer....seems OK to me!

While I know there's a difference in Mac- vs PC-Cubase, I'm pretty thrilled with Cubase 4/5's performance. Got more than enough juice for what I need. And the thought of what I'd have to give up if I ever jumped ship....*shudder*...very happy with KoolAid, er, I mean Cubase 5! 8)
yes, the v5 koolaid :)

it's not so bad that it doesn't take full advantage of a quad, what sounds bad is that basic functionality needs work arounds (like realtime export) -- no matter if it's 1 step or not with a side tool, it's annoying. maybe i dont understand the problem but from what i am hearing if you have more than one core and you want to realtime export something you have to change the processor affinity for your other cores?

i am not trying to pee on your guys' wheaties (and girl? in susiwongs case?) just saying i've been very close to upgrading recently and learning that everything isn't /all/ peachy with v5 at least makes me feel a little bit better about my decision to refrain from drinking the koolaid.

glad to hear your setup is rocking.
True, I don't use realtime export at all. Did a few with my reverb hardware unit, and decided I can't live without normal exporting, so I'm getting rid of it. Come to think of it, I did get a few exports that simply refused to do so! Another reason I won't stick with hardware effects for now. But non-realtime export - even with UAD2 plugins - is totally wonderful for me.

Mind you, I do kind of wish I stuck with Cubase 4 a little longer; that felt "lighter" to me than 5 (actually used less CPU than SX3!), but I had to upgrade because my bro did. So no need to drink the KoolAid yet indeed. 8)

Look, I'm a total idiot here, I'm confused as to which part to modify :roll:

-----------------------------

[application]
// Change this to the name of your audio application
// Exactly how it is written in Task Manager
// Example: Nuendo4.exe
// Example: Cubase5.exe
def_audioapp=Cubase4.exe

[taskmanager]
// The name of your Task manager Window
def_taskmanagername=Windows Task Manager

[affinity]
// The name of your Processor Affinity Dialog
def_processoraffinityname=Processor Affinity

[cpu]
// Which processor you want to turn on and off
def_processor=0

-------------------------------------

should it be........

--------------------------------

[application]
def_audioapp=Cubase5.exe

[taskmanager]

[affinity]

[cpu]
def_processor=0
-----------

???????????

ozmoz2008 wrote:Did you mixdown some long projects(over 10minute for exemple)?

What new feature in C5 make you take the risk of not mixing in realtime like in Cubase 4.52?
ozmoz,
no, my projects typically are between 3 min and 7 min max, ca. 10 to 20 MIDI tracks, ca. 10 to 20 audio tracks and an unholy amount of groups :roll:

I'm usually upgrading Cubase asap, never had an issue since it's a parallel install anyway.
Then I save the projects I'll be using for tests to a new folder, under "C5 projects" for example. So nothing evil can happen.
I have redundant backups on another PC and on external HDs anyway, including regular OS images.
Once I have gained confidence in the new version I start using it for real work.
Didn't take long with C5.

I don't really see it as big risk, important exports have to be controlled "manually" anyway in my book.

Afair VST expression, the new automation and the new VariAudio built into the sample editor (even though I own Melodyne plugin) were the biggies for me.

Cheers,
susiwong

susiwong wrote:... and an unholy amount of groups... :roll:
Cheers,
susiwong
One sure sign of a professional. :) Groups are the key to happiness...

loopmash is doing it too :cry:

two newbs with the same problem :x

hibidy wrote:Look, I'm a total idiot here, I'm confused as to which part to modify :roll:

-----------------------------

[application]
// Change this to the name of your audio application
// Exactly how it is written in Task Manager
// Example: Nuendo4.exe
// Example: Cubase5.exe
def_audioapp=Cubase4.exe

[taskmanager]

[affinity]

[cpu]
def_processor=0

-------------------------------------

should it be........

--------------------------------

[application]
def_audioapp=Cubase5.exe

[taskmanager]

[affinity]

[cpu]
def_processor=0
-----------

???????????
hibidy,

it's much simpler actually ...
Mine just reads :
[application]
def_audioapp=Cubase5.exe
and works fine, Phil even artificially slowed the tool down so you can see what it does.
Remember this is for C5/32 and XP64 english version, your process might be named differently.
Check the pic for comparison :

Afaik the other options are for compatibility with various languages.

Try this first, if it doesn't work check the names in the title bar of your Task Manager Window and your Processor Affinity Dialog (right click the Cubase process > Set Affinity) and add the two corresponding lines, like that (for my example) :
[application]
def_audioapp=Cubase5.exe

[taskmanager]

[affinity]
If all else fails I can PM Phil for you @ the UAD forums, or you register there yourself, no need to be a UA owner.

Let me know if you succeeded,
I'll be back tomorrow.
Cheers,
susiwong

LawrenceF wrote:
Cheers,
susiwong
:shrug: As always, many roads lead to Rome.

Key to my personal workflow are the 3 mixers, #1 is set to VSTi outs, #2 to audio tracks including inputs and #3 shows groups. So I tend to route all VSTi outs and audio tracks to groups, combined or not as suitable and do most of my processing there even for single tracks / VSTi outs. Add the other groups that are needed for technical / creative reasons and it quickly piles up. :help:
Even though it might not sound that way, the groups mixer is rather uncluttered then and this workspace is open during mixdown 90% of the time.
Above the mixers I always have the VSTiRack, ASIO meter, Generic Remote, automation panel, transport and a big time display.
The other monitor always shows the arrange window, no matter which of the 3 mixer workspaces is active.
The 4th workspace only has a big arrange window stretched over all 2 screens.

Might not be for everyone, but it suits my personal workflow to a tee, fast and organized and probably the biggest reason I enjoy Cubase so much.

Cheers,
susiwong

well, though I believe it "works", though not thinking it fixed the problem. It is rather odd because with or without the little affinity thing, I can get rev to work, but I have to wait till after I load it......and it settles down. Yesterday, I couldn't even start it without it fraking up. However, some of the impulses just simply bring the system to it's needs.

It figures since I had c4 working so well that 5 has given me quite a bit of grief. I just not lucky enough to keep the string of "working" things forever :wink:

Oh well, some of it works anyways......hope I don't have too many more negative surprises. I have 4 armed and ready if I need it :shrug:

susiwong wrote::shrug: As always, many roads lead to Rome.
Cheers,
susiwong
Yes. Which is why I was careful to say "one" sign of a professional.

Edit: Removed contextual explanation. I think you know what I meant.

LawrenceF wrote:
Cheers,
susiwong

Groups are good-especially when you have an SSL Duende to insert into the group wooo!!:)

ozmoz2008 wrote:
susiwong wrote:ozmoz,
If we're having the same problem (looks like it) there's no reason to be afraid imho, the tool works fine and C5 is perfectly stable otherwise and a joy to work with here.
Some little annoyances here and there, ok, but no showstoppers in sight atm.
Good luck to you, too,
Cheers,
susiwong

The only thing imho that stinks is the fact that users have to find cause and solution for this crap and still no word from Steinberg.
Have you seen other weird stuff like blank GUI's because it's unable to load patch...for exemple I've seen this with Omnisphere when I didn't resave my multipatch....in fact the way around the problem was to resave twice the patch with 2names in case one was corrupted.

Have you work with C5 in 64bit?...I would really like to use my other 4gigs of RAM...I'm also affraid of using C5 in 64bit....

It's hard to make the switch for me when there is little bugs like this. So when you uncheck the realtime export....does it react as if it was doing it realtime...it looks like that, and if it is...then I shouldn't worry about all the UAD card processing etc etc...

I've wrote emails to Steinberg and UAD ...only UAD replied twice saying they are working on this...that's good news ;)My main DAW is on XP64 just like you...
You have to see that the GUI of Omnisphere isn't Cubase. Many so-called Cubase issues are compatibility issues with plugs, as with any host.

Anyway, Steinberg warns us off an 8 core Mac, and though the thing isn't optimal here, it's totally stable. I've had crashes on 5.01, but they were due to specific things such as NI broke the DFD handling for the beta of K3.5 (now fixed).

The realtime export is widely reported on all OSs I think, though. I've tried it twice, it isn't something I have to do, but to see if my machine had a problem with it... it does, any machine might, it's A BUG.

Screen redraws can occasionally be an issue here, OSX.5.7 and nehalem 2 x quad 2.93ghz. Not a show stopper.

Core i7 rocks. No problems whatsoever. Almost impossible to overload the CPU!

well, since we've restarted this thread, an i7 may indeed rock, but almost every plug in I have rocks inside of cubase, and it's just reverence that does not (well, a couple of presets in loopmash)

I've thought about upgrading, but I cannot justify any more money for something that is so picky (the whole computer scene from day one, not just one thing in particular) I'll have to make due! (no really, I really trying this time)

c5 was a questionable purchase for me personally, I feel as though I could have stated with 4 and been fine, but it's bottled-water under the bridge.....I have it for when I need it......

Agreed, computers are evil, but a necessary one:(

Yeppers!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”