MIDI tracks to 'instrument tracks' in Cubase 5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

concealed identity wrote:Huh? I'm not talking about Logic or Protools. I'm talking about Cubase. As for his intial frustrations, I replied to those earlier; my response to you had nothing to do with those.
Sorry, I was responding to MOK19's remark about streamlining Cubase without compromising functionality. You posted as I was writing my response.

fandango wrote:This is a UK-based forum, after all
Is it??? I always assumed it was American! You learn something new every day!

yellowfever wrote:
Hah! Looks like I was wrong. :oops:

I thought Ben/MUSEResearch were British, just did some checking and... err... oh well. Have another oops smiley. :oops:

fandango wrote:
yellowfever wrote:
Hah! Looks like I was wrong. :oops:

I thought Ben/MUSEResearch were British, just did some checking and... err... oh well. Have another oops smiley. :oops:
:lol:

Ooh, no. I might be right actually.
http://www.museresearch.com/about.php?id=5

I've forgotten what the question was now... :hihi:

That's right, KvR is English. Only Muse, which is younger and didn't come into the picture till a few years ago, is American.

maybe we think it's American because it seems like there's lots of Yankees on here?

yellowfever wrote:maybe we think it's American because it seems like there's lots of Yankees on here?
Whole internet is fulla yanks! But don't let a Southerner hear you call him that!

We still have imperialism in common. =)

I hate the yankees! Boo hisss them winning the world series :x

hibidy wrote:I hate the yankees! Boo hisss them winning the world series :x
Careful, you'll confuse the Brits if you're not talking about a Champions League match. ;)

Uncle E wrote:
concealed identity wrote:Huh? I'm not talking about Logic or Protools. I'm talking about Cubase. As for his intial frustrations, I replied to those earlier; my response to you had nothing to do with those.
Sorry, I was responding to MOK19's remark about streamlining Cubase without compromising functionality. You posted as I was writing my response.

Ah ok, that makes sense then! :D

... about streamlining Cubase without compromising functionality. You posted as I was writing my response.
True. Love or hate or general neutrality about it aside, the Cubase UI is very customizable and can be streamlined without compromising any functionality. A good way to approach it is to set it up for how you work.

- Put the things you'd rather use the mouse for out front and visible.
- Hide things (tools, buttons, whatever) that you'd rather use keystrokes for.
- Arrange the TCP buttons in an order that makes sense to you.

Point being, it allows you to choose what to mouse and what not to mouse and what to see and what not to see so any complaints about clutter are pointless. You can hide all of the tools, icons, 90% of the TCP buttons, any and all of the inspector panels, chose different buttons for midi and audio tracks, etc, etc, etc and arrange any and all of those things in whatever order you like and store presets of those things.

If you're a "Unix power guy" who can remember 80 key commands you can remove most of those UI elements of if you're a mouser like me you can show them all or anything in between.

Have it your way...

Anyway, it's rather silly to complain about things that can be physically and permanently turned off... which in the Cubase arrange page is almost everything. It's like complaining that your bedroom is cluttered when all you need to do is put away the stuff you rarely ever use.

I think many people just forget how customizable it really is. Cubase has lots of customization options, as well as fully configurable key commands WITH macros. You can decide what your screen looks like.

The thing is, even with everything showing, Cubase is still cleaner than most. I don't know how anyone could say that it's interface is bloated. Not when you compare to some apps like Reaper and Sonar(and I own Sonar, but it's interface is a mess, IMO, though you can customize some of that). Heck, you can customize on a per-track basis which buttons you want to show, or make settings for all MIDI tracks or audio tracks or whatever, and switch between presets instantly. What other host allows that much button customization in the TCP? And the inspector in Cubase is the best I've seen, and also customizable. You can even add controls for individual parameters of instruments and effects or external gear, right in the inspector. It's very well implemented.

Plus, you can add various rulers tracks and such ANYWHERE in the track list. Add as many rulers as you want. Put them in the top area, separated from "normal" tracks, or put them in between two tracks. Whatever you want. And that's just the beginning of things when it comes to how you can arrange tracks.

I don't need no stinkin' user made themes to make Cubase look good. IMO, it's great already. Add that to one of the most powerful(if not THE most) hosts out there, and it's a solid package. People like to harp on the window behavior, ignoring the fact that a few simple mouse clicks solve most problems. They ignore all the ways that Cubase lets you work around these things, just so they can have host war fodder.

But anyways, I agree with Lawrence. Lots you can change to make it just how you want.

My only wish is for better hide/show functionality. If it could be like Pro Tools, that would be excellent. Then again, if I could mix Pro Tools and Cubase, you would never ever hear from me again in a host war. I would be set.

Brent
My host is better than your host

There are certainly many things they could do better, no doubt. But optional arrange page customization is far beyond what I see elsewhere.

Below is the Cubase 5 "Unix dude who hates mouse tools like the plauge and loves keystrokes" custom view. :lol:

Audio tracks, meters and the timeline. No buttons, no tools, nothing else really but the zoom bars. If you have a mixer on a second screen that's really all you need here. Everything else is accessible via keystroke - *if* you prefer working that way - and always has been. The idea that *forcing* people to use keystrokes makes for a better UI is (imo) not close to being true.

People should be able to choose those things so in this one case Steinberg got something right. If you hate that stuff ... turn it off. You can call any of it via keystroke if you need it.

The customization code (that applies to many other things through the application including what you see or don't see - and how those visible things are arranged - in every single editor display) I assume is a small part of what people call "bloat"? It certainly takes some forethought and some code routines to move UI elements around so freely, so that accounts for at least part of the larger executable.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”