MIDI tracks to 'instrument tracks' in Cubase 5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any way I can send more than one track of MIDI to an 'instrument track' in Cubase?

For example - Say I make a drum machine on an instrument track, then want a separate MIDI channel for the hi-hat, any way I can do this? Or do I have to re-load the VST and do it the old way?

Thanks..

Cubase allows you to make use of VST Instruments in two
different ways:
• By activating instruments in the VST Instruments window.
This creates a VST Instrument channel, which can be played by one (or
several) MIDI track(s) routed to it.
• By creating instrument tracks.
Instrument tracks are a combination of a VST Instrument, an instrument
channel and a MIDI track. You play and record MIDI note data directly for
this track.

Page 170 in the Operations Manual.

isnt the C5 manual included in the crack's torrents ? lol!

Yeah I read the manual too - didn't answer my question! And no my copy is legit ;)

Still waiting for my C5 to arrive, but I'm pretty sure you could just add a MIDI track, click on the output and the Instrument Tracks appeared as legitimate routing targets?

fandango wrote:Still waiting for my C5 to arrive, but I'm pretty sure you could just add a MIDI track, click on the output and the Instrument Tracks appeared as legitimate routing targets?
Don't have the manual and Cubase around but I'm completely sure:

you CANNOT route any midi track to an cubase instrument track (yet)!

For the drum machine example simply use the 'old' Cubase way (instrument put into the instrument rack).

Cheers,
LiteOn

Wierd, I was certain I had done that in C5 Studio. :help:

I thought it was just audio outputs in which Instrument Tracks were limited?

Damn, I'm starting to think you're right LiteOn .. can't believe it! Steinberg never cease to amaze me how ass-backwards they get everything.

present wrote:Damn, I'm starting to think you're right LiteOn .. can't believe it! Steinberg never cease to amaze me how ass-backwards they get everything.
So, what's wrong with using the old way of loading VSTi's for doing what you want?

its true im afriad - tehy ahve promised multi-out instrument tracks and, i'm assuming, multi in. But at the moment all midi data on an instrument track only transmits in Omni mode
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

geroyannis - nothing, just I have to teach this crap and Stainberg's convoluted methods leave my students in a daze of confusion half the time.

Just wish we had a decent modern app here, without this kind of nonsense!

As well I guess it has its good points. Interface has been in need of a major overhaul for 8 years tho IMO..

present wrote:Any way I can send more than one track of MIDI to an 'instrument track' in Cubase?

For example - Say I make a drum machine on an instrument track, then want a separate MIDI channel for the hi-hat, any way I can do this? Or do I have to re-load the VST and do it the old way?

Thanks..
What you need to do is go to the "Windows" menu and click on VST Instruments (shortcut is F11). That is where you load up a VST that can have multiple MIDI tracks routed to it.

Once there, there are several ways you can access multiple channels. The first, and easiest, is simply to create a new MIDI track and then route that to the appropriate instrument. You can then go the MIDI track information and select the channel that you want (I believe this is called a "program change" in this section).

Another way to change channels (in a single MIDI track) is by opening up the key editor in a MIDI track and manually changing the channel of individual notes; this can be done by turning on the "view midi information" (or something like that) in the key editor, and then typing in the appropriate channel number.

There are probably numerous other ways to do what you want, but I only just recently bought the program and haven't had a chance to explore it in depth.

forgot about 'instrument tracks', I don't even know what it's supposed to do, I think it's for noobs just starting out so they don't even have to learn how the program works, and they can get an instrument that comes with cubase to respond to a midi track,

you open up an instrument in the vsti rack, if your preferences are to automatically give you a midi track to start with assigned to that, that's what it does. if your preferences are to ask you about this, that's what happens.

R_T_F_M. It's not rocket science.

KB + Jan - thanks, I'm aware of the old way of doing it... its fine, but such a mess having both ways included and incompatible, and makes teaching it a total drag. Compare Ableton or Reaper's streamlined workflow and it just looks incredibly bad.

Typical Stainberg, they need to hire some programmers who are 20 years younger and used to using decent, modern apps IMO.

present wrote:Any way I can send more than one track of MIDI to an 'instrument track' in Cubase?

Thanks..
Each midi or instrument track can be a self contained multitrack midi track so you can do the same thing on one track. Just name the parts Kick, Snare, etc.

When you open one of those parts in the midi editor you only get that part. That's what "lanes" are for.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”