Ohm Force Sequencer - Ohmstudio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

brok landers wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:
himalaya wrote:The production/engineering collaboration aspect is genius. This will surely help a lot of beginners to get their tracks sounding top dollar.
A future version of KVR will have a Big Red Button "HELP ME MAKE MY MIX SOUND LIKE THE DEAD MOUSE" in every thread :D

Peace,
Andy.
or in other words:
this is the death of one idea, killed by many other ideas. sometimes freedom isn't the real thing.
I don't know...if all one needs is some specific processing, which the newcomer can't quite get right, then having a pro tweaking the compressor/eq/reverb/whatever, could be very helpful and would certainly be a learning process for the inexperienced. Obviously this can already happen, by people sending WAV files to whomever, but having a kind of pool of talent, which is available on tap (for free ?) is a great idea.

But I think the big red button Andy mentions, is a must anyway. :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I like it, and signed up for the beta, but I like others have said, I do like working in my DAW of choice (in this case Live). This does look very interesting at least, and I'll gladly give it a shot; I like working with others on projects a lot of the time. Hopefully the fact that it actively connects to their server(s) will give the pirates headaches.

Too bad Live never did get Sharing sorted out. Currently I'm using DropBox to drop in "Here's what this sounds like so far" exports from Live, and dragging stems my partner writes using his/her software into my Live library.
Meh.

Nice to see the Big Red Button is getting some love :)
spaceman wrote:It's a nice idea, I'm sure some will use it well, but I don't think there's a big enough market for it to generate enough money. The whole bloody world is full of 'social' and 'network' but you'd be surprised how little people actually want to interact real-time.
This is all wrapped in "what if" ...

You start work on a track, decide it could do with some vocals but can't sing / have the wrong voice. You search for vocalists, find some that match the style you have in mind and ping several of them with your track "if you feel inspired, please sing on my track".

Some unspecified amount of time later (hours/ days / maybe a week) you log back in to OhmStudio and several new versions of your track are now available because the vocalists found some time to sing on it. You select the one you like best and get on with with producing.

Just a thought. This concept doesn't have to mean "real time" - for the reasons you mentioned - it's not always convenient and I'm sure the Ohmies have thought of that ...

It could also be be a potential stream of revenue for people with in demand skills, where the Ohmies take a small cut of the fee. Or maybe we are moving to a rental model for studio software ...

Peace,
Andy.

spaceman wrote:It's a nice idea, I'm sure some will use it well, but I don't think there's a big enough market for it to generate enough money. The whole bloody world is full of 'social' and 'network' but you'd be surprised how little people actually want to interact real-time.
Real time does matter in the sense of 'quality requirement' for the collaborative features but we don't expect it to be the typical use case. What we expect to see is what you see in the video when the guy wakes up and check what's new on the project(s) he's on. The big thing here is that there's no action required from anyone to have everyone on the same page. We think little people wants to collaborate because juste having to manage file, then wait for someone ready to manage them too turns it into a little population being motivated. Our goal is to cut down everything that isn't fun from the process.

Ah, and to be accurate : "real time" here doens't stand for "real time jamming together", but "real time" collaborative edition of the project.
Last edited by Red_Force on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I kind of got a "when they feel like" it sort of vibe, too. Like the example in the video; they didn't say you were hearing the vocals as they were sung. The vocal track was done and then sync'd to everyone else on the project. It would take a LOT more bandwidth and really low latency to do that in real time.

Which works for me, usually. I'm not always in a rush to complete something. The other example, waking up to see changes to the track, etc, also lead me to believe they aren't pushing the "real time" angle too hard.
Meh.

Very cool idea.
But the promo looks to clean, needs more funky skin! 8)
(And more distorted kittens)
//L

I like this idea.

I don't think cost would be prohibitive. You can rent a hi-speed game server for a couple dollars per person per month. I don't see why Ohmstudio couldn't offer the same kind of price/performance as online gaming. It looks like you're not acually collaborating in real time, you're letting each partner contribute at will, and saving the results in the project. Banwidth wouldn't seem to be a problem, and processing (I'm guessing) takes place on the server and on your coumputer, like a game.

My son and I live in the same town, and we work on songs he writes. Even though we're only 3 miles apart, it is a major pain to swap Sonar bundle files, or even MP3 mixes of working tracks. The best way, right now, is to hop in the car and hand carry the CD to each other. Ohmstudio would be a a far better solution for us.

I signed up for the beta.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill...

dburns wrote:>snip< My son and I live in the same town, and we work on songs he writes. Even though we're only 3 miles apart, it is a major pain to swap Sonar bundle files, or even MP3 mixes of working tracks. The best way, right now, is to hop in the car and hand carry the CD to each other.> snip<
dropbox will be your best friend then, i suppose. it certainly made my life way easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

ohm studio...the perfect name :D

i can kinda dig it....but without people sharing the same plugs, it's gonna have to all be audio unless all users have to use the stock plugs , which is a shame

and....it aint logic :D

brok landers wrote:
dburns wrote:>snip< My son and I live in the same town, and we work on songs he writes. Even though we're only 3 miles apart, it is a major pain to swap Sonar bundle files, or even MP3 mixes of working tracks. The best way, right now, is to hop in the car and hand carry the CD to each other.> snip<
dropbox will be your best friend then, i suppose. it certainly made my life way easier.

yes...dropbox is working out well for my collabs also...2gig of free space is more than adequate and the interface makes it all a breeze to use

Thanks for the link, brok. :)
Last edited by dburns on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill...

ebow wrote:
brok landers wrote:

yes...dropbox is working out well for my collabs also...2gig of free space is more than adequate and the interface makes it all a breeze to use
indeed, the fact that it is an actual folder on your hd, which is exactly to be treated like that, makes it feel like if you just work with files on your hd... actually that's what you do, essentially ... :)
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Dropbox is really great.
You can actually get another 250 meg if you sign up through an affliate link:
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQ2NDk0ODk

I'm quite intrigued by ohmstudio.
If I'd do real time audio, I wouldn't actually send audio over the network, but just the control signals. Just like a game doesn't render the graphics on the server but the local machine.

WOW f awesome

I'm excited about this... I could definitely get good use out of being able to work in "real-time" as well as use the built in chat feature. I think this has a lot of potential, but of course we'll know more when the beta is released.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”