Ohm Force Sequencer - Ohmstudio

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

skarnka wrote:A series of teaser videos came out...

http://en.audiofanzine.com/misc-sequenc ... ideos.html

I am wondering what the pricing model will be- subscription or flat?
That seems pretty cool, I like it, SPECIALY THE LAST ONE.

I hope its price is a one time pay, or subscription only for premium options.

And a native Linux Version, I do love Linux Mint KDE...

I hope it's flat model too. I don't need the colaboration features and I really like the interface.

They updated the OhmStudio.com with the inovative interface,

PLUS a new video on the Piano Roll.

Nice, but it looks like NO STEP SEQUENCER, No Blocks/Session view and no staff view 3 big minus on that. I personally expected more for composition.

Lets see what they bring on in terms of price, native plugs and tools (editing audio, fades...).

Still interested in try the online.

Also a little bit of hope for Linux?

pc999 wrote:and Linux.
There won't be any Linux support, unless you can make it work with Wine, but you'll have to use it at your own risk. The main reason is that it would require to support a third platform for plug-in manufacturers; two platforms are already too much (but bearable because many developpers support both Win & Mac).
staff viwen
What do you mean ? Staff view ?

Please also keep in mind that the first released Ohm Studio version will not compete with the long-established DAWs regarding the number of features. There will be improvements later.

I think by staff view he means musical score.

It all looks pretty neat but...where's the mixer? :?

Fire Sledge - Ohm Force wrote:There won't be any Linux support, unless you can make it work with Wine, but you'll have to use it at your own risk. The main reason is that it would require to support a third platform for plug-in manufacturers; two platforms are already too much (but bearable because many developpers support both Win & Mac).

What do you mean ? Staff view ?

Please also keep in mind that the first released Ohm Studio version will not compete with the long-established DAWs regarding the number of features. There will be improvements later.

Hi, thanks for the reply, sorry if I sound over critical, let me praise the good things I see too.

I do love the concept for tracks, it should really help with composing more complex songs, I really dont like to create a new track and routing for little things.

The "modular view" also rocks, it should be really good for both novices and experts that could do complex routing beasts (which we all love to do).

The editing of multiple piano roll editing can also e a very useful feature.

Finally the automation also seems a lot easier than any other host.

I need to give a second look to the looping/linking features, but they seems interesting too.

Really nice work on those things, probably popular FR for other hosts.

Now let me explain the critics.

First, like all of those things above prove me right, I thought OhmStudio of being very oriented to composition, and those are some of the best, and more requested features of the moment and with good reason.

For one I was actually expecting a Step Sequencer or some sort of dedicated drums tracks, that is actually one of the things that are pushing me away from Reaper (although it is a heavy request for v4, and others hosts, which I am very attentive to). I personally think that easy drums/percussion should be mandatory in new hosts, this is a really Minus IMO.

The staff view is actually notation (like mixcraft) nothing too complex but that personally could be very useful for any host (depending on the user), but meybe even more on OhmStudio because if I want someone to sing me something I wont expect her/him to read from a piano roll, or even to look at a harmony from it. Also if it brings people from different kinds of music it can really be a difference for those more classically educated. But it isn't the end of the world, so it is actually a minor Minus.

The Blocks/Session is more the influence of seeing so many request in other host, it would be a PLus but it isnt really a Minus.

But sure this is all relative to the price.

What I am really wondering is about the native plug ins, which with the collaborative probable limitations on VSTs (unless all have the same VSTs), I expect them to be a complete bundle of fx (delays, phaser, guitar...) and some instruments (drums, VA, Sampler, among others...). Or it would be really hard to collaborate, also great for novices. But even your freeware is great so I am not worried with that).

And for the rest I expect the basic features fond in the 50-100$ DAW like Podium, Xt...

I am expecting OhmStudio to be a great place to do music, I dont expect anything like Video, 5.1, ReWire, Melodyne DNA and other advanced features...

Just great collaboration, composition features/workflow*, and plugs that will live to the OhmForce name.

*(hence the SS, Notation, Bloks for the future?)
Last edited by pc999 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ohm Force wrote:The Ohm Studio will be bundled with a collection of integrated effects/instruments that will cover music production's basic needs. We're talking about some Ohm effects you already know, and a few brand new ones. So all Ohm Studio users will have/share these units, there won't be compatibility/setup issues about it. Of course you'll be able to use any third-party VST plug-in, but in this case all session members will have to own the plug-ins in question. It's what already happens when someone share a DAW's (any) project with a friend: the friend's DAW will locally search for a registered version of each one of the commercial plug-ins contained in the project. And there's no way to make it differently: 99% of commercial plug-ins' licenses are individual, so if you purchased a Camel Audio Alchemy it does not give your friends the right to eventually use it for free. So to clearly answer neverone's question, there won't be "hosted plug-ins", the effects your Ohm Studio will be able to use will be those installed in your computer.
Will you be providing bounce type features then, allowing one session participant to perhaps apply his mpressor or Massive Passive plugins to the audio and then share? This seems important. I want to collaborate, as I think it will be fun, and see myself doing so in mostly a production/engineering role. I however, don't expect to be limited to collaborating only with people who have shelled out thousands in high end plugins. I have made that choice, and have the income to support it, but I don't expect every talented musician out there who I could potentially collaborate with to have the same income, or the same plugins.

Other than that, this looks cool. I like Ohm stuff, and I think that you may be positioned to do this right. App certainly looks good right now.

the new vids dont have much to do with the collaborative stuff, but thats cool. i needed this info to stay interested.
editing multiple automations at once, and multiple piano rolls at once definitely seems pretty cool. there are a few little things in there that seem really handy.
the new vids are worth checking out. they go into the regular nuts/bolts details moreso than the collaborative part of it.
is it known yet how big of a project this could be?
could this end up with more features added with updates, over say, years?

still looks super interesting!
ImageImageImageImage

There is a article about Ohmstudio in the latest Computer Music magazine.

Highlights:

The writers seems very impressed with the DAW, claiming that is very innovative a useful;

Only/always online (?);

Subscription based price, instead of a one time payment;

Instead of big, long wait and paid updates/upgrades the software will be upgraded much more often (which the writer say it will be good to the learning curve, probably is right IMO).

A interesting article overall, I recommend reading it.

I would prefer a one time payment and make sure that a given version is mine forever, but maybe dependent on the price... anyway it would be cool, for the rest of the features if you could have a offline version or a hybrid one, here you buy it and only subscribe (at a lower price) if you wanted to collaborate.

I wonder the of the native fx/instruments and if you really need to go online for sole works, as I think that many will keep doing solo work alongside collaborative one...

Anyway I still very interested in try it, I wonder when will the betas start, and if those who will try it already know anything

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”