Cubase users - what are you using the logical editor for?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use it mostly for Philosophical studies (i.e., editing logic) :)

Here's a basic "make it easier" thing in Cubase using PLE scripts and macros... just to demonstrate how you can overcome some of Cubase's workflow shortcomings with it. This basic example will do something Cubase really sucks at, filtering the mixer to show only the selected tracks.

First, create a macro named "Hide Tracks" ...

Now create a new PLE script named "Invert Track Selection" which (when set as it is below) will select any tracks that are not currently selected leaving the others unselected... using the filters as I have them set below and the Function:Select at the bottom.

Add the "Hide Tracks" macro you created above to it at the bottom of the script like shown above so that the macro will trigger when the script completes. Now when you run that script it will hide everything in the mixer except the channels you had selected to start with.

Assign it to a key run it whenever. Select a bunch of tracks in the arrange page (Preference Set: mixer follow selection) or select them in the mixer, and hit the hot key to isolate those tracks in the mixer.

To show all of the mixer tracks again click the icon below in the mixer...

That's a really basic example but you can modify the PLE script above to do things like exclude certain tracks like FX tracks from that inverted selection. Below, by adding additional conditions to only select tracks if they are audio or midi (see the OR condition below) you'd leave any FX or Group tracks visible when it completes since on the inverted selection they'd be skipped over, since they don't match that additional condition of being audio or midi tracks.

Or make it skip tracks with certain text in the track name like "verb".

It really is just a progression of "logical" steps to get from A to B to C. You just have to walk through it step by step and build it once to do a certain thing and be done with it and then move on to the next "feature" you want to add... especially since Steiny will probably never add this kind of basic thing to the raw code... :( ... "Filter Selected Channels".

I can't even be sure this is the best way to approach this particular thing from the PLE but whatever makes sense to you and gets the thing done and actually works is an improvement. So if something in particular frustrates you regularly... see if you can script around it with the PLE + macros.

Keep in mind that Cubase track selection can follow event selection (and mixer selection can follow track selection) so you can "range select" events/tracks/clips from inside the timeline arrange working area with the mouse to get the track selection before hitting your "filter" hotkey to clear everything else from the mixer.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fantastic!!!
thank you LawrenceF, i think i have to spend a lot of time on the PLE!!
Are the presets of PLE importable and if yes, are there any other examples? I know it's quite personal, but i would like to take a look into!

I think those are xml files somewhere on disk so I guess you can trade them, exchange them.

There is one flaw in that macro above, you have to add one more step at the very beginning of it as below... Mixer: Reveal All ... for it to work correctly in a cyclic kind of way without manually revealing all tracks between running it.

Last edited by LawrenceF on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiffWraith wrote:CAP!!! What's up?!?!

I use the LE for two things mainly:

1) Random velocity

2) Selecting every other note

Other that that, not much goin' on....

Cheers.
Buenos tardes Riff!

Thanks for the examples, I have to get the laptop back up and running and I'll be on this like Chris B on a dongleless thread starter. :)

captain caveman wrote:....and I'll be on this like Chris B on a dongleless thread starter. :)
rofl
UniversalSampling.com "Euphoria" - Percussive Tonal Scoring lib now avail. Check out the Freebie Patch!

Im just wondering if anyone ever managed to get the Project Logical Editor above about Filtering tracks to show only selected in the mixer...

I cant seem to get it to work properly. i followed the screen shots... it seems to work fine when you only have audio tracks in your project but as soon as you start adding in folder tracks and fx, groups tracks etc it just simply does nothing....

Wonder if anyone figured out how to adapt the boolean so that it workds properly...

dave
Tools of destruction: Macbook Pro, Cubase 5,6, Pro Tools 9, Ableton Live 8. Komplete 6, U-he Zebra

Besides some things already mentioned, I also find it useful for transposing sampler parts without moving the key switches.

Nice bump... I need to store this link for later.

The logical editor... the final frontier(..of Cubase)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”